getting ready to buy an exmark

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by scsteven, May 24, 2006.

1. scsteven

scsteven LawnSite Member

This message board has been a great help! Thanks! We are getting ready to demo a 2006 Exmark HP 60" mower. We are going to use our new Exmark to mow approximately 4 (poss. more someday) acres of lawn and walnut tree orchard. The terrain is somewhat rough, but not hilly. We are trying to decide between the CT and the HP. We are on a budget, but we don't want to cheat ourselves either. Should we be considering the AS also? Ideally we are ultimately wanting the HP with the 20 horse Kohler and the 52" deck. My main and most important question is how do we go about negotiating the price of this machine? We will probably end up doing the Exmark financing deal too. Will this hurt our negotiating? Thanks for your help!

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

The financing won't hurt you. I call several dealers and take my time to get the best price. Talk to the owner or someone that can wheel and deal, not the salesman that has to go ask his boss everytime you ask about the deal. Always be ready to walk away. You are the customer so you are in the power position not the dealer. I bargin with several dealers for the best price but may choose a slightly higer priced unit if I think the dealer will take better care of me and is closer to my home. I have had an As unit but prefer the regular lazer because of tires and it has the newer triton deck. The AS is a great unit for the money though. I'm not familiar with the smaller Exmarks so I can't help you there. Definately get a suspension seat or the adaptor for the regular seat especially since you say it is rough ground. Make sure the model you pick out has a deck that extends beyond the tire for better trimming ability around those trees. I'm no expert but I'm on my second Exmark and hope this helps.

3. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

On eXmark lazer, I would only go either HP or full-size lazer. The CT is a homeowner model in disguise as semi-commercial for those estate homeowner wannabe LCO. Grandpa or Grandson cut a couple time on those 2 acre milliondollar home and quit doing it 2 months later ...is very common. Sooner or later, real lawn guy comes in with 60 full-size lazer, is this sounding familiar?

4. scsteven

scsteven LawnSite Member

Thank you so much for your advice! We plan to start the "haggeling" process next week!

5. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

In my opinion you usually get two options - the financing - or haggling, not both!

When haggling, remember that when they won't go any lower in dollars, then start looking for added options - striping roller, suspension seat add on, mulch kit, trailer hitch, extra blades, spare air or fuel filters etc. If not straight thrown in to make the deal, then at a reduced price to make the deal.

Just my method - that usually works!

deej

6. DJL50

DJL50 LawnSite Senior Member

I had a dealer offer to extend the warranty to 3 years. He was $50 higher than another place. Could not come down on price but the extra warranty was a good offer. Does not cost him anything up front and may not at all if I don't need service. But If I do could save me $$$. Thought that was a fair trade.