1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

getting ready to buy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jlcjdgc, Mar 29, 2006.

1. jlcjdgc

jlcjdgc LawnSite Member
    from iowa

Getting ready to buy a Ferris IS3100, 61" deck, 30hp kohler.
    I mow approximately 30 acres of new undeveloped commercial and residential lots.
    Most of the commercial land are very rough lots, thus thinking we need the suspension system.
    Any opinion of the decision to use this particular mower for this type of mowing?
  2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

You won't regret buying 30 HP...:weightlifter:
  3. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

I have the IS 4500 61" with the 28 hp cat and really like it. One thing I don't care to much for is the weight of it, almost 2,000 lbs and the fact that there isn't much trim side on it. But with the smaller frame, it probably has more trim side. The suspension is awsome. Last season I mowed 40-50 acres per week with it and half of that was old farm land that was very rough.

Good luck.
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We've used almost exclusively Ferris for 13 years. They are extremely dependable and the IS makes for an easier ride to say the least. I guess we have had like 20 or more Ferris machines over the years so I do have a little truth in what I write.