1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Getting ready to install sod over existing Bermuda.....

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by TXTom, Jul 9, 2006.

1. TXTom

TXTom LawnSite Member

We are expanding a yard around the perimeter and in a couple of existing bermuda spots. We have killed all of the bermuda with RoundUp. Do we need to remove the dead bermuda before setting the sod? I have heard yes and no. What do you think? New sod is St. Augustine

2. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

One application of round up will not kill 100% of the bermuda. Are you planning to till up the ground or are you thinking of laying the sod on top of hard ground?
  3. TXTom

TXTom LawnSite Member

The Bermuda looks dead above ground. It hasn't been watered and there isn't any recent growth since the roundup application. I planned to use the teeth on my rock bucket to break up the top 4"s of grass/soil. We will rake off the loose grass. We will use the rakes to do final grading and then water the soil and install the new sod. I was thinking about installing directly over the dead bermuda, but have decided that would be a bad idea.

4. STLlawnboy

STLlawnboy LawnSite Member

I was at Lesco the other day asking about a yard of mine that has bermuda, the homeowner wants it gone. They said the only way to get rid of it is to move, round-up will kill it, but it is in the soil and will be shooting back in a year or two. The mother plant they said is almost impossible to kill.
  5. golfguy

golfguy LawnSite Member

The sod will die if it is laid directly onto the bermuda. The roots will have an extremly difficult time penetrating the old bermuda. Remove till or whatever you need to do to break up the crust.
  6. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Roundup the bemuda, then till the soil. Water daily and fertilize just like you are planting seed. Wait two weeks, spray bermuda with roundup, rake lawn smooth, water daily and fertilize like planting new seed. Wait two weeks, spray bermuda with roundup. Fertilize and then lay sod. Hopefully you will have killed the bermuda. Maintain the St Augustine at it tallest mowing height.
  7. TXTom

TXTom LawnSite Member

That is a lot of roundup. This Bermuda lawn was in bad shape to begin with. We sprayed roundup once, waited two weeks, used a bobcat to rake the top 3"s, removed the loose grass. Additional sprinklers and soil have been added. I am game for another shot of roundup, then install the sod. What do you recommend for a fertilizer before the sod install? By the way, the bermuda was completely brown after the first two weeks. It was Sahara bermuda barely growing in soil that had a ph too high for it.

8. muddstopper

I cant give you a fertilizer recommendation simply because i know nothing about your soils. Bermuda is very deep rooted and it spreads by ryzhomes as well as seed. The reason for multiple roundup treatments is to try to kill all the seed as well as any roots that may be trying to come back. Encourageing the bermuda to regrow is the fastest way to get enough top growth so that the roundup can do its thing. It also encourages any seeds left laying around to go ahead and germinate so they can be killed also. Even tho the soil might be poor now, if you are prepping the soil and increaseing the fertility levels for the St. Augustine, you are also makeing the conditions better for the bermuda. Maintaining the St Augustine at a higher mowing height will discourage the bermuda from re-establishing. The reason for tilling the soil only one time and then rakeing the second time, is simply because everytime you disturb the soil, you will bring more seeds as well as root fragments to the surface. Getting the soil in shape so that it doesnt need any rakeing or other prep after the last shot of roundup, will insure that what ever bermuda or weed seeds that are left, are still deep in the soil, and with the sod laid over it, those seeds shouldnt become a problem. Its a lot of work, but if you want to be sure the bermuda doesnt come back, its the only way I know of.
  9. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I'm glad we don't deal with Bermuda up north. Sounds like a real pain to get rid of. Is it anything like zoysia?

Couldn't you just sod cut all of it out, then add some topsoil?
  10. muddstopper

You can sod cut bermuda and leave the soil bare and it will come back. It grows everywhere you dont want it to