1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Getting ready to start mulching

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Watson's Landscaping, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Watson's Landscaping

Watson's Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Well spring is almost here and the clients are starting to call, and want me to re-mulch all there beds this year. Since this will be my first big spring for this (more then 1or2 mulch jobs) I'd like some help on bed prep and what to charge. I guess my main ? is what if any kind of weed killer do you guys spary down to kill off all the unwanted stuff w/o killing the wanted stuff(trees,shrubs,ext.)
    Thanks

2. EJD Lawnpride

EJD Lawnpride LawnSite Senior Member

We charge $67 - $100/yd. It depends on the size of job. We put Preen pro down. It works well. But we weed the beds really well if they pay for it.

3. Mustard Seed Landscape

Mustard Seed Landscape LawnSite Member

My area seems 50.00 a yard is common . I quote extra for alot of weeds / sod etc and of course edging the beds as well . $25.00 hr

4. NELawnCare

NELawnCare LawnSite Member

So, you're saying that just the mulch is $50/yd? Then you charge $25/hr to drop it?

5. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

I charge 65-75 per yard (depends on the amount to be put out). That is for the mulch, delivery and spreading. Extra charge for weeding.

6. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

If there are excessive weeds (meaning thistle, clover etc.) spray with roundup first. Once you have some active warmth and sunlight for the plant to take up the roundup. Let the weeds die, give it a week or so. Apply the mulch ( typically will use 1-2" unless the mulch that is there is virtually noexistant then Iwould use 3" ). Then apply some sort of Preemergent herbicide such as Snapshot or comparable (most others will be cheaper, but I am willing to pay for the best because you get the best control) to keep the weeds out. It will make you look like a genius because you are able to keep the weeds away alot better than they had in the past. Plus if this is a routine maintenance place meaning you are responsible for the weeds all year you will have better control and will only have to spot spray oncea month of every other week or so to just keep the little weeds away.

7. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

If there are excessive weeds (meaning thistle, clover etc.) spray with roundup first. Once you have some active warmth and sunlight for the plant to take up the roundup. Let the weeds die, give it a week or so. Apply the mulch ( typically will use 1-2" unless the mulch that is there is virtually noexistant then Iwould use 3" ). Then apply some sort of Preemergent herbicide such as Snapshot or comparable (most others will be cheaper, but I am willing to pay for the best because you get the best control) to keep the weeds out. It will make you look like a genius because you are able to keep the weeds away alot better than they had in the past. Plus if this is a routine maintenance place meaning you are responsible for the weeds all year you will have better control and will only have to spot spray once a month of every other week or so to just keep the little weeds away.

Mulch costs;

We get a double ground hardwood mulch (either shredded or chips) for $12 per yard (minimum of 12 yards) plus typically a $40-$80 delivery charge depending on location. We mark up the cost of the mulch to $16 plus the delivery charge. We apply the mulch at $36 per yard ($45 per hour or so)installed. SO FOR EXAMPLE a typical home around here seems to be 15 yards. so we pay $180 for a 15 yard load plus $60 delivery = $240 (OUR COST). We mark that up to $300 for materials. Plus $36 per yard x 15 yards = $540 for labor.

So what will take us about 12 hours of labor and $240 cost, we get $840 from the customer.

We use the same formula for all mulches except for the fact all other mulch takes longer to put down than the stuff we get so we figure that we can do 1 yard of mulch per hour instead of 1.25. And the cost of the mulch changes but the formula doesnt.

Oh and site conditions are also a factor but typical 1/4 to 3/4 acre lots this holds true. If you have beds a long distance away, or a ton of perennials and tightly grouped shrubs to work around then you have to charge more because it takes longer to apply the mulch.

The preemergent herbicide we pay $90 per 50 lb bag of snapshot, and typically go through 1/2 - 1 bag per property. We charge $125 per bag for the materials and about $30-$60 for the application of the preemergent (1/2-1 hour or so depending on bed sizes, using a belly spreader).

We also apply a slow release fertilizer to all perennials and shrubs at the same time which costs us an additional $30-$60 for materials marked up of course, and another additional 1/2-1 hour to apply at andother $30-$60 labor.

Oh and $1.00 per foot about for edging the bed beforehand with a Brown Edger.

8. biggin69

biggin69 LawnSite Member

Weed the beds first then apply Preen. It is great stuff and it will not harm the flowers.

9. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

i charge between 70-80.00$ per yard.......bought,delivered, spread,

10. nwlandscaping

nwlandscaping LawnSite Member

I've never thought about charging clients your own set rate per yard. We've usually just charged them for whatever the actual yardage cost was and then by our $20 per man hour rate. Has anyone else tried this method or do most of you suggest the other way?

We use Preen after we clean out all the weeds. It saved us a lot of time, as well as our knees. lol