Getting responses from your quotes?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rjs, Mar 22, 2006.

1. rjs

rjs LawnSite Member

Im just wandering how long you guys find customers take to accept a quote, assuming it has been quoted at a competitive price? I understand that there are many variables involved but have you found that there is an average on response time? Trying to build, thanks.

2. JCee

JCee LawnSite Member
    from NY

Usually within a day....For the most part I drop off an estimate, and depending on how bad I want to do the job, I will call them back...

3. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

My estimate is good for 30 days. I have had people call in 1 day, 1 week and 3 months later..... I figure they will call when they are motivated.

D

4. mad_wrestler

mad_wrestler LawnSite Senior Member

Does the grass stop growing for the 30 days your quote is good for? Put yourself in bind it would seem. I give them 2 days and call on the 3rd to ask if there were any questions I could answer for them. They will usually say if they are gonna use you then. If they don't say either way its a no in my opinion. My quotes are good for 5 days.

5. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

I gave 5 estimates/quotes about an hour ago. Closed 3 on the phone. Two wanted to talk to their husbands.

talk to husbands = comparing to other estimates. :cry:

6. rjs

rjs LawnSite Member

thanks. Do you ask them straight up if they have made a decision? Do you call every quote you do? What if you know your not the cheapest then you go through why your more expensive than the cheap guy with no mortgage?

much appreciated for the responses, thanks.

7. LawnScenes

LawnScenes LawnSite Member

I make mine good for 30 days. No calls or contact after I drop off/mail/email it. Either they want to use me or they don't. And I haven't found that calling them helps them with the decision. I truly think they make the choice to use you or not the first time you meet them. Considering they can afford it. First impressions are everything :drinkup:

8. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I guess I was referring to project work as opposed to weekly service. My written estimates/proposals ( for projects) are for 30 days..... I usually give verbal prices for weekly mowing. I rarely ever call to follow up. I find that people think you are pressuring them if you call them. And I have never in the past got an answer when I have called them back..... They always say they will get back to me.

I can 9 out of 10 times know when I leave the estimate if I will get the weekly agreement of not. They have my number and all the info..... they will call if they like me. Most of my calls are from referrals...so they have a good idea about my work quality from their friends or neighbors......

I hate it when sales people "follow up" like I don't know how to get a hold of them......it tends to make me buy elseware....

9. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I get that a lot also.It seems fair that the husband and wife make the decision together.I also hear "well I'll give the estimate to my husband because he is in charge of maintaining the outside."

10. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We do all estimates within 24 hours of the initial contact with the potential client. Most are done within 3-4 hours.

We follow up the day after we leave the estimate to make sure there aren't any questions.

Our quotes are good for 15 days for maintenance (mowing, fert, etc); and for 50 days for hardscape/landscaping work.

I've gotten a great response on the way we handle potential clients. Everyone has commented on our follow up and attention to detail. Make sure you do it!