Getting rid of ants

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by SouthernYankee, Jan 17, 2007.

1. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

I have ants in my house right now, I did a little winter mulching and noticed them around the foundation of my house. They are not fire ants, they are small, but much quicker moving than fireants (and they dont bite).

Could I just put some talstar around my foundation?

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Yankee

If you do not have a real bad problem Talstar is Labeled for Perimeter treatment and would work well. I suggest using a lot of water per lineal ft, but still only apply the same amount of chemical. You may want to look into ant baits in the future. Bait take a long time to work in order to go up the ant food chain. 5 to 10 weeks in order to gain control, depending on the bait. But Baits are very effective.

3. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

What Ric wrote ........................

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Air Head

I take it that you approve of my reply.

5. A.T.A.K

A.T.A.K LawnSite Senior Member

Be careful know the ant you are going after. Bifenthrin is a great repellant and can cause ants to run, what direction who knows. Talstar will work for most ants but poor results on Ghost ants and pharaoh ants. If you can post a pick it will help. I like to stick with non repellants to take care of ants( Termidor, Phantom, Premises) in conjunction with baits(to many to list take your pick). Ric is correct what ever product you use make sure you go high on the volume to penetrate the mulch.

6. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Doing a perimeter application of Talstar probably will probably not cure an ant problem.Too many ways for them to get in. MaxForce baits work great. Otherwise, you need to do crack and crevice treatment with either a dust like Drione, Tempo Dust, etc. Tempo WP or SC Ultra work great as a liquid app.Basically spray/dust every nook and cranny in your house, or at least in the areas you are seeing them. I'd call an exterminator if they bother you that much.

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Yo Fellows

I wasn't trying to teach a class on Structural pest control, only answer the man's question. I assumed he wasn't in structural Pest Control and wouldn't have access to Professional products. Rather than explain the Repel, Attract and neutral thing, I just suggested Baits. In most cases, Baits from the super market work as good as any. The customer is paying for our knowledge of what to use and when, not the chemicals we use. Therefore the average homeowner is not successful all the time when using the wrong bait on the wrong ant.

8. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

you will be hard pressed to find a better all around perimeter insectincide
    than demand. Fantastic product. Talstar other than ornamental use is
    over hyped. Used it and others like it for many years and in the right situation its good. But not my first choice...my.02

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Diazinon was once labeled for Nematodes and did an excellence job on both Grubs and Ants. In fact I have found nothing that compares to Diazinon IMHO for Ants. So What is the BEST insecticide for Ant control in yards, in your Opinion????

I have been using the Texas Two Step and rotate Baits.

10. A.T.A.K

A.T.A.K LawnSite Senior Member

LOL my bad Ric I forget most boards I deal with are fully certified. Ric is right with no real experience use baits. For my favorite ant treatments in yards Talstar PL done every 3 months. So far no call backs and in Florida that is impressive.