Getting rid of bagged grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chesterlawn, Mar 27, 2008.

1. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going to advertise as an add on service, bagging of grass clippings. Where do you guys get rid of your grass? Also when you bag, do you cut the lawn first then bag, or just bag the first time.

2. tilawn

tilawn LawnSite Member

i always bag it when i cut the first time through it but if it gets too long then cut let dry and re-cut (bag). With 25 yrs experience you have never bagged clippings before? lucky guy. And also start a compost pile with your clippings

3. ffemtmcd

ffemtmcd LawnSite Senior Member

Check around your area and see if there's a city (or county) that has a compost pile you can drop clippings at. There's a city around here that does that. It's cheap for the residents but the LCO's get charged more. Other than that, I know a guy who's got some acrage and he has a burn pile that he lights off 2-3 times / year and he lets me drop off there.

4. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't advertise or up sell bagging but will do it if a customer requests it at a premium price. Will also bag if clippings are excessive, on my dime, if they are just going to be piling up (usually in the spring) I have acreage so i just haul back to shop and compost.

5. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

Why can't you leave it at the house?

6. zapper

zapper LawnSite Member

How are you guys composting your grass clippings?

7. macguy

macguy LawnSite Member

I pay an annual fee to have a remote for the gate to our township dump area. The city has residential pick up of lawn debris that is set out by the curb the first week of every month (April - Nov).

8. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

mix with leaf compost from last falls cleanups. Stir piles couple times a year. I even mix in some clay/topsoil form cemetary that I dig graves at. Takes about three years for some premium potting soil/ topdressing material.

9. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

In the heat/sunlight of summer, I have found I can spread grass clippings on my driveway for three to four hours and they dry up enough to burn without a problem. You have to turn them a couple of times though. A pitch fork makes fairly easy work of this.

10. Reassurance Property

Reassurance Property LawnSite Member

How do you top dress with compost? I have heard a lot of people talking about it on this site. I am purchasing a shop and will have space to start a compost. My wife is a master gardener so she will use a lot of it for clients beds. Anyway, how do you spread it and how much for top dressing?