Getting rid of bees

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Townhouse Yards, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Townhouse Yards

Townhouse Yards LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Not sure if this is the right place to put it or not, but I have an account right now with bees/wasps. I have discovered a least one nest that is underground. It is neccessary to remove them because the opening is located in a bed I wanted to put mulch on, and the customer is less than thrilled about them being there. What is best spray or killer to get rid of them? Should it be done after sundown when the bees are less active?

2. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

some beekeepers will come out and remove the bees without killing...it doesn't sound like this is possible though--prob. spray when inactive in morning

3. Colaguy

Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member

4. twomancrew

twomancrew LawnSite Senior Member

In the horse isle at Farm and Fleet you buy Permethrin for $15/32oz. Mix it up at 10oz/gal in a 2 gal sprayer or whatever and blast them AFTER DARK or VERY early morning. That hole in ground sounds like what yellow jackets do to me here in IA. Pour the whole 2 gallons down the hole at night and around the opening to it. Bye Bye Bees.

Don't kill bumble bees please, I let them jump from flowers to my hand by putting pollen on my finger. Customers will hire you quick when you show them you have a green thumb and a "bee finger". Wasp stung me first try so I kill them if they bug me.

I told a customer 2 years ago to hire an exterminator. He did the job himself but they came back a month later. I quit that one, I didn't feel bad or miss it. How many times I got stung there IDK. He was a really nice guy too, but he didn't work with me so bye bye.

Also if you ignore the bugs they ignore you.

Permethrin will hurt cats, but that is pretty much it other than bugs. Smells strong for an hour then no smell afterward.

5. Townhouse Yards

from VA

6. Townhouse Yards

from VA

Thanks for all the advice. I've seen bumble bees in the yard, but they don't stay too long because of how little plants are back there right now. Would Permethrin be available in home depot or lowes do you think? I don't think we have a Farm and Fleet in Northern Virginia. And now that I think about it, you are right, its probably yellow jackets. I've stepped on a hole before while watering plants, I had at least 3 on each leg in a second, trying to get through my jeans. Two succeeded.

7. Townhouse Yards

from VA

That's cool that beekeepers will do that. I don't think that will work though. Thanks for the suggestion!

8. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

Gasoline should never be used. If burning bees is the method anybody chooses, use Diesel because it is much less volatile. The aerosol product mentioned above is the way to go.

9. twomancrew

twomancrew LawnSite Senior Member

the aerosol can stuff is very fast killing, and pretty cheap. Any of them have worked for me through the years. I like the ag stuff I mentioned because it can cover a wide range of bugs and can be mixed and stored for IDK how long, it doesn't seem to be unstable at all. The cans are good for stuff in and around gutters and soffits because it can spray a long distance.

10. Townhouse Yards

from VA

Thanks for all the help guys. I got the aerosol that colaguy suggested, and it worked great. Since I sprayed, I've only seen three yellow jackets.