1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

getting rid of Bent Grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by R&J Lawn, Mar 5, 2005.

1. R&J Lawn

R&J Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

Here in the Northwest, I have alot of accounts with Kentucky bluegrass-- 1 Of my accounts has popped up with a couple of patches of what looks like Bent Grass, about 3' round (and spreading)... How do I get rid of it?? or what can I do to control the spread? :)
  2. snap12.5

snap12.5 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I actually posted a thread on this subject a while back. Those patches are a pain in the a**. They spread fast. My yard had a patch the size of a dinner plate 5 years ago and now it is the size of a small putting green. Ive talked to truegreen and they say it is for sure bentgrass.

What to do! - buy the concentrated roundup and mix it in a sprayer at twice the recommended rate. Wait until the grass begins to grow and looks green and healthy. Spray areas generously. Two weeks later mower + bag area at a short height. Wait a few weeks and spray the area again. Seed two weeks later and thats it.

That tends to get most of it but what I did last year is after I sprayed it the first time and mowed it, I waited like 2 months to see if it came back before spraying again and seeding. Hope this helps
  3. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Bent grass is tough because it is a domestic blend, lawn hebicides are formulated to not harm it, since some people use it for their entire lawn. I'm just South of you here in Utah, here's what I recommend spray Round Up just like Snap12.5 suggested, wait about 1-2 weeks then dig it out and replace it with sod. A couple of peices of sod would be cheap and you get your lawn back a lot faster, plus if the Round Up leaves any living bent grass roots, they will be less able to compete.
  4. turfmgr

turfmgr LawnSite Member

you sure its not Poa??