Getting rid of bentgrass

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ron mexico75, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Puttinggreens

Puttinggreens LawnSite Senior Member

I have wanted to do the same thing. Only problem is the crabgrass and nut turn very white and take several weeks to die. They really stand out until they eventually die. There is something you can add to the solution to minimize the whitening, forget what it is, but i want to try it. I found Tenacity very effective on crab, just slow and obvious.

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Trying to spot spray a creeping grassy weed is a mission to nowhere. What you do not see and spray at the time of application gets bigger later. Same is true of bermuda control. When it is woven in between cool season grasses, it is hard to see. Might as well spray the entire lawn.

My experience with weeds turning white the week after application has been nothing but positive. Customers see that and because I have educated them on what will happen, they are looking forward to it. It is not like the sulfonylurea herbicides I typically use that do not do much of anything for a long time. Only sign of herbicidal activity is shrinkage of weed tops below the turf surface 14-21 days after application.

3. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmm, yeah not too sure many customers would be happy with a slow death of anything. Especially at the time of year when cool season turf is getting ready to look it's best.

Maybe I'll just treat the bentgrass I'm having an issue with.

4. ron mexico75

You're right doc, and Puttinggreens also advised to blanket app. I'll follow both of your advice. True, probably lots of areas where that stuff is creeping that I didn't even see.

5. greendoctor

Straight Triclopyr added to Tenacity will lessen the whitening and enhance activity on the bent. That's right, Triclopyr is not usable as a selective on bermuda or bent. I use it as part of a bermuda removal program from zoysia.

6. ron mexico75

I have some left over Turflon, would that work? What rate are you using per 1000, 3/4 ounce?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  7. greendoctor

Yes. Is that the old Turflon Ester without 2,4-D? Although checking the Callisto label says that 2,4-D does not antagonize or create phytotoxic mixtures with mesotrione. Had to look because 2,4-D interferes with Acclaim and Fusilade. 3/4 oz is the label rate for Turflon Ester. Don't know what it is for the other variants.

8. ron mexico75

The Turflon label says 61.6% triclopyr and 38.4% other ingredients. Don't see anything regarding 2,4-D.

I'm thinking of just doing this in early August. No real reason to blanket app tall fescue in June and especially not with Triclopyr as it's been close to 90 or above regularly now. I think I'll just do 2 apps in August 2 weeks apart. Unless you think 3 apps are needed like Puttinggreens said he does.