1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

getting rid of bermuda grass in a cool season lawn

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ant, Apr 27, 2005.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

i have a fescue lawn that has patches of Bermuda grass that makes the lawn look like crap. next door has none...
    the lawn is 42,000 sf and it warrants treating the whole lawn.
    i need to get rid of it...
    you guys ever run into this?
  2. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

Yes and minimal success.

Fusilade in mid to late spring or acclaim in the summer seem to be the best chance to reduce it.

Do a serach you might find some good reading here.

3. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

If you de-thatch or verti cut the patches of bermuda before seeding, the fescue will grow up through the bermuda and you won't notice it until summer at whitch time it will blend in with the fescue.
  4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Roundup the entire area in the late summer and re seed with fescue in the fall.

It's the only way to be sure.
  5. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

I believe "acclaim" can take care of bermuda in fescue, though it may take a couple of apps.
  6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I put down Fusilade II just a couple weeks ago. Seems to be doing the trick. The bermuda seems to be "yellowing" now. I put down some fescue seed in those spots. Will probably hit it again, if it's safe. I have not read the label yet for seeding recommendations though.
  7. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Yo Ant!

Roundup will not kill bermuda grass. It will knock it down, but it will come back eventually. Dethatching, aeration, and overseeding will allow desirable grass to germinate within it, however, the bermuda is much more agressive, and will eventually take over again. Look into the Fusilad & Ornamec products. I read .05 - .14 oz per 1000. Don't apply when hot and there is no ground moisture. Wait until the bermuda comes out of dormancy as well. Good luck.

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

It will also definetely stunt the growth of your fescue. In the areas I applied I have not seen any growth in 7 days....and I mean NONE! It also browned the tips of the fescue just a little. Now is day 10 and the fescue is starting to grow a little.