Getting rid of bermuda grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fireman D, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Fireman D

Fireman D LawnSite Member

I need some advice on how to get rid of bermuda grass without digging up parts of the yard or killing my fescue lawn.
    Please help!

2. Mueller Landscape Inc

Mueller Landscape Inc LawnSite Senior Member

If it is real Bermuda grass, you must kill it. Pulling it out will not work.

3. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Acclaim or Fusilade II. Repeated apps over a period of time.

4. Fireman D

Do I do this after the bermuda has started growing or before hand?

5. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

When its actively growing. Its dormant now, no way to kill it, because herbicide has to go in through the leaf. Bermuda is very hard to get rid of. The easiest, but maybe costly, is to get a sod cutter and cut out the Bermuda and re-sod. Even that may not completely get out all the roots. Where did the Bermuda come from? from neighbors?

6. Fireman D

Yes. It has crawled up into my yard from my neighbor's yard.

7. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

So, if you get rid of it, it will just creep in again. dang!

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, my first question is what variety is it? If it is of the common variety, it will be extremely hard to get rid of. Reason being is because of it's charater and growth habits.

I deal with the neigbor creeping quite a bit. Also I have to deal with it creeping into beds. Deep bed edges below the speading root zone and repeated apps of Fusilade II is about all you can do.

I actually have 2 customers thinking of laying bed edges in around their property lines to help stop the creeping. This gives an area where the creeping can be held at bay both above and below ground with regular maintenace. The thing is, if it's common bermuda, it will germinate from seed, sprigs, clippings, everything. The common also exhibits a lot of seed head, giving a purple looking overcast to the lawn. So if the neighbor doesn't cut before the seed head develops, if he side discharges your way, then it becomes a constant war....

Not to mention a LOT of people really wouldn't like the idea of a "ditch" along the property lines either...

:dizzy: Good Luck :dizzy:

9. Have you tried easy off oven cleaner. I do not know if it works on bermuda but it works just fine on suger cane.

10. Fireman D

Why waste space with a reply like that.