1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

getting rid of Bermuda

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by cuttenup, Apr 28, 2007.

1. cuttenup

cuttenup LawnSite Member
    from NETN

We just bought a house and the previous owners had installed Bermuda grass on an area where they had a above ground pool. I would like to gid rid of the Bermuda and sow Kentucky 31. What is the best method for removal. Thanks
  2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Hey, I'm down the road from you in Kingsport. Is the Bermuda dead where the pool was? If so it will probably have a layer of sand to seat the pool. Have you check it out with a maddock? If so, is it packed very hard. In thisis so, I'm guessing Blue Diamond Dynamite. Seriouslly, It will be very hard hard to do by hand. Your going to need a PTO Cultivator to break it Maybe. Another choice is to layer it with topsoil and let mother nature soften it or help her along with frequent deep waterings.
    If you add a layer of topsoil--buy it by the truckload and feather it into the surrounding landscape.
    Lots of hard backbreaking work--you might hire someone to do it for you. If you'd like, Greg Gammon (member here) has the heavy duty stuff to get it done quickly. He's in the book under Gammon Landscaping in Kingsport.