1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Getting rid of broadleaf grass?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by sd night train, May 14, 2009.

1. sd night train

sd night train LawnSite Member

I planted some fall mix grass seed last fall and it came up nice last year...this year it is coming up nice but a lot of broadleaf grass. I dethatched and overseeded with a good fescue, ryegrass, bluegrass mix about a month ago.

Still waiting for it to take off here in the upper midwest where we've only seen a couple of days of 70's and eves in the 30's. Obviously the worst case is R&R the lawn but this isnt an option.

What is my best bet to get rid of all the undesirable broadleaf grass and leave the desirable grass behind?

Thanks

2. tombo82685

tombo82685 LawnSite Senior Member

Broadleaf grasses? Do you mean like orchardgrass, nutsedge, quckgrass?

3. sd night train

I dont know what it is...it is all over in the areas where I planted the fall seed last year. I want to get rid of it but keep the fine leaf grasses.

4. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Generally a pre-em in the spring will stop most broadleaf weeds from becoming a problem. However, you have new grass and it is not advisable to use a pre-em as it will fry those tender new grass shoots also. Concentrate on establishing a healthy thick turf. Getting rid of broadleaf weeds isn't much of a problem in fescue or bluegrass. Is this what you planted? if so, just do a little hand pulling until that lawn get established then a good 3-way herbicide will wipe them out quickly. Someone with local knowledge of your area will give you advise on which 3-way or a combo of two works best. Cool season grasses are a blessing to you. These warm seasoned grasses are so sensitive to most herbicides.

5. sd night train

I planted a fescue, ryegrass, blugrass mix. I also have a ton of clover that I've found is tough to control....I want to wipe it out this year if possible and get a good pre-emergent on it next spring. Whats a good pre-emergent to buy and can it be put on in the very late fall before the snow starts to fall?