Getting rid of clover

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Impulse, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Impulse

Impulse LawnSite Member

I'm in the New York area mostly tall fescue/ bluegrass and rye I use a combination of super trimec and turflon and about 20% of my lawns I get a call back to retreat for clover any suggestions thank you Impulse

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I think you are on the right track. Clover blooms in mid June around here. The products you mentioned should do the job nicely. Momentum(with fluoroxypyr) is also a good bet--at least in my mind. Are you using the full maximum dosage? Lowest allowed? (Try to calibrate between 100 and 110 percent of the maximum.) Poor coverage? Accurate calibration or estimate?
    Including a surfactant? (Clover is hard to wet.) Are you treating at the wrong time of year? I am not sure when is best, actually. Clover is perennial--pre-emergents have no effect.

I am doing a test this week--Speedzone with surfactant is highly effective on clover from what I can see at the early stages.

Finally, are you sure its clover? Oxalis resembles clover--and its more difficult to kill. Black medic resembles clover and it is a summer annual which self-seeds and usually appears about mid-summer. Do you have pictures?

3. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Can you use quinclorac in new York?

4. ringahding

ringahding LawnSite Senior Member

We have found much success with T-Zone. A lot of applicators swear by Momentum. But we have had no calls about weeds after application from the 100+ customers we have provided .

5. twomancrew

twomancrew LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, I've had quite the year with clover. http://www.msuturfweeds.net/details/_/white_clover_28/
    T zone http://www.pbigordon.com/pdfs/t-zone-sl.pdf is a bit pricey but I spot sprayed a month ago all over town and clover is gone, little black clump of a root is all that is left now, if anything. Violets too. Smoked em.

6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I think the general rule regarding killing clover: until fall, expensive products are required. But once early fall arrives, we can kill it with the cheap stuff (3-way amine). LI-700 and other spreader/stickers also help, unless you incorporate liquid fertilizer (cuz liquid fert pretty much does the same job).

My opinion only. Feel free to shoot me if I'm wrong. :laugh:

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

OP how are you spraying Turflon Ester + 3 way and not killing white clover?
    I essentially use the same concoction and it takes care of it good.

9. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

The best time kill Clover is when its in bloom I use just Super Trimec I never had a call back

When are treating whats the temp?

What the rate you are applying ? Mine quart to the acre

If I mix it right with right temp I can kill it with 2-4D Amine But I always have a small window with that mix

You walking or riding ? You blanket spraying or droplets?

10. twomancrew

twomancrew LawnSite Senior Member

You're right about the timing. Early apps were the least successful this year for clover. Black Medic is also strong this year. Smooth crabgrass is really having a year. I did some small yards where the owner had push-mowed right before I was there to spray and I got a call from both those guys. They were told not to mow but they were afraid to wait a couple days after the spray to mow too I guess. I didn't get to really squirt some of the clover early on and they popped up strong in the last month. This hasn't ever been a problem on new spray jobs before. I got an honest 6 years with apps on turf. I do very little spraying in general so take it for what it's worth.