1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Getting Rid Of Customers Who Don't Water!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PetalsandPines, Jul 17, 2003.

1. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines LawnSite Member

I am sick and tired of hearing it...Can you skip the mowing this week? Why don't you water it? I am metered, I don't want to spend the money......In other words.....You want to use me in the Spring and Fall when the grass is growing out of control, yet during the summer, it is convenient for you not to water because your too cheap to pay for mowing.....So I am supposed to just hang out and do nothing! ARRRGGGHGHHHHHHH! IS THERE AN ANSWER TO THIS ANYBODY??? How about a form letter to politely tell the customer, listen...your wasting my time, water your lawn, or I am dropping your ASH next year to fill your spot with someone who cares about the lawn:blob2: :blob2: :blob2:
  2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Simple, continue adding to your client base until you can start weeding out the less desirables.

3. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines LawnSite Member

After 10 years.....I still haven't mastered the art of cheapskate detection with the first impression.....Especially in the Spring when things are lush.
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I still run into the problem of people that don't water year after year. I have one lady in particular that spends close to $500 a year on a fertilization program and her lawn looks like ---- because she doesn't water it
  5. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, then ya got the customers that want it cut at 2", so it will burn up quicker. Mention the fact the the grass will burn, and you get a reply..."thats ok, I want it to" hmmmm...

I look at it this way, money is money, and as long as I am cuttin em, I am making money.

But!!!! If they dont care about thier yard, I bet they will get the mow, blow, and go from me, cause I wont really care about it either.

So was it worth $30 for 10-15 minutes of my time. You bet it was.

When I get overwelmed with clients, they will be the first to get the boot.

in the mean time....payup :D :drinkup:
  6. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek LawnSite Senior Member
    from u s a

I would have 0 customers , nobody irrigates here . Water availabilty not a problem 90 mille long lake in my back door .
  7. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

I'd only have 3 customers left. Only have one that has a sprinkler system. our summers are probably different than those up north. We get afternoon t storms just about everyday all summer long and the humidity stays around 90% +.
  8. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

I started a thread about the same topic the otherday.
    I was thinking that for these kind of people what i am going to do is, nicely explain to them that when its raining everyday and the grass is 2 ft. tall that i'm going to charge them extra for the added time spent there, but in return in the summer months i will come bi-weekly...

I thought i had loyal customers that would let me make some money this year after this ruff season!
    I thought wrong:cry:
  9. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

yeah jason up here July an August are pretty dry. The grass turns that dull brown color, and unless the HO has got a irrigation system, it is a bi weekly cut for most. Monthly for a couple. But I dont really wanna drive 10 miles one way more than once a month anyways.

Pull up the shorts, and double knot the shoes come September. Its about 3 months of all hell breakin loose...Cuttin every 4 days for some places...

Those cut when they call customers...God love em.....No problem..Be there in a couple of days when everything else is caught up. I dont have a problem, they dont have a problem...payup :drinkup:
  10. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Here's an idea: Start pushing aerations to your non-watering customers. It's not terribly expensive to do, and a regular areation will help to create a well developed root system on a lawn that will keep the lawn living and growing better during drier weather. Better root system == better ability to find the water in the soil. You can sell it to them as a way of cutting down on the need to water, and the lawns will grow better. Everyone wins. The lawns I did this spring are doing great this year. I aerated my next door neighbor. He told me the other day he wasn't sure if he should say thanks for getting his yard to grow so well this year, or punch me because now he has to mow every week.

Try it. Can't hurt.

Otherwise, I agree, it's hard to detect the non-watering type in the spring. I like to remind people a couple of times throughout the year it's easier and cheaper to water the lawn for 20 minutes a day a few times a week than to have me renovate a dead lawn in September. Which has happened frequently the past few years. AND around here at least, outdoor watering meters are available that separates the outdoor watering from indoor water usage, so people aren't charged sewage rates on watering outside, which I point out.