1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Getting rid of gasoline smell?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Currier, Nov 8, 2000.

1. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

Did a no brain thing last weekend. moving some of my equipment around in the (attatched) garage I knocked over a gas can and spilled about one gallon of gas. I quickly got a garden hose and washed the gas out the garage door (the spill was right at the door maybe 3 feet in) Anyway now one room of my house just stinks to high heaven of gas. I have no clue how a gas spill right by the garage door that was washed out within three minutes of being spilled can stink up a house but this is nasty. Any suggestions?

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I use speedy dry on spills,then burn in a 55 gal drum after its absorbed the gas.Washing it off contaminates everything in its path.As for the smell,I load on old cologne onto my hands when I cant get it off.It works,but ive never tried it on a big spill.It is probably down into the concrete now,and itll take a long time(months)for it to wear off.I do not put fuel in my attached garage-ever,just in case.I keep it in the shed.Get some nose plugs for the next six months.

3. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

John, Sounds encouraging:) I guess some mistakes you get to live with for a while. Could be worse. (just couldn't smell much worse)

Live and learn

4. Kevin

Kevin LawnSite Member
    from S.E. PA

I ve foung that zep citrus scent cleaner works real good!

5. Any type of Cat litter works well if you have it handy, for spills. for the smell, air out the room. The oder probaly came through a furnace vent. Check that out as the source of the smell
    John

6. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

Kevin is right about that Zep Citrus Cleaner and degreaser. You will find it in an orange spray can with a black lid. We use it in our pressroom at work. It will get rid of petroleum smells, and even clean off ink that goes into the press like it's nothing (black,red, yellow, and blue)
    I think the stuff smells good..my supervisor hates it..says it's too strong.

Tim

7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

try pouring vanilla extract on it, maybe even some powder carpet cleaner. Vanilla has a way of neutralizing smells sometime. Don't know if it will work on gas though.

Homer

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

works for me

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Baking Soda?

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

As silly as it sounds - tomato juice. Let it set for about an hour, and hose off lightly. The acid neutralizes the odor. By the way, this works for skunk spray, too.