1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

getting rid of geese?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bligh61, Jan 21, 2004.

1. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

any ideas on how to get geese off of my customers lawns, any sprays or tricks used?
  2. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

Gempler's Catalog has something in it that may work. www.gempler's.com
  3. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

here in the south we use #4 shot and a 12 guage !
  4. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

Are they walking onto the yards from the water?

A property I service had them something horrible and the solution came in a simple wrought iron fence (only about 36" high) along the top of the short bulkhead. Apparently, most geese prefer to walk onto land rather than fly in. No more geese.

Shotguns wouldn't have gone over real well up here. ;)
  5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

A Rosting pan and some butter.
  6. Birddog Lawncare

Birddog Lawncare LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

If you can't use a 12ga, try putting up some pink flamingos and that will run them off.
  7. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

it isn't very practical but, the country club around here use some Dogs that patrol the course.
  8. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

A single wire that is 18" or so, off the ground. stretched for the length of such pond or water area.

The Idea stems from turkeys. All birds can walk and most can fly. A study came out that to keep particuarly turkeys (but also ducks, chickens, geese, emu, and other fowl for eating) is that you place a fence or wire about 2/3-5/8 the birds height around area you want to keep them in.
    The birds will not fly over it because the wire is too low and they wont go over it because the wire is too high.
  9. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I live on a golf course and we use dogs also, but the dogs can't keep them off of every whole at the same time so it seems like they are always somewhere! I think a shot gun is your best bet!
  10. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

That would work well except the animal control dept would pick the dogs up here.

What about an air blast cannon on a timed controller.