1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Getting Rid of Ivy on a lawn

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by fatbatmanstan, Nov 30, 2006.

1. fatbatmanstan

fatbatmanstan LawnSite Member

I have a load of Ivy at work on the front lawn. Half of it it growing up through the grass, half of it grows where there is no grass.

My main question is how to kill the Ivy without killing the grass?

2. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Any broad leaf herbicide should work. Might take a couple or three applications, but it should go away. Momentum, Lesco 3 Way, Speed Zone. Even Ortho Weed Be Gone will take it out eventually.
  3. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

use an ester based herbicide, should take only one treatment, maybe two if it's hard'en off. cool power, chasser, lesco 3-way ester II, are some of the one's i've used and they ALL work GREAT hands down over the AMINE formulations. just make sure your temps don't get up in the 80's or you could damage some of the turf or other ornamentals in the landscape. :drinkup:
  4. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

Speedzone is awesome for ground ivy. Just make sure to read directions (less than 90 degrees, etc.).
  5. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I have always used three-way on ivy with good results. It requires a couple applications and the fall is best. Even now would be good. The last couple years I have used Surge. One application no matter what the conditions seems to take care of it.
  6. fatbatmanstan

fatbatmanstan LawnSite Member

cheers guys.

will look for it all

7. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor LawnSite Member

Momentum works "ok" but not like turflon used too thats for sure.

Good post and excellent info Teeca.

And if using an ester remember that volitilization is important to pay attention too especially when spraying near landscaping like Teeca said. You can damage non target plants by them "breathing" the ester "gases" if you will to put it in simple common sense terms.

Walk up to a Japenese maple and just scream the word TURFLON, and watch the leaves start to curl up...lol