Getting Rid of Ivy???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by BCFLawnLandscape, Nov 9, 2006.

1. BCFLawnLandscape

BCFLawnLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

What has everyone found to be the best way to rid Ivy forever? I have a customer who is wanting the ivy removed and grass put in its place. Will a brush killer kill off the ivy and make it easier to remove? Any feedback would be great! Thanks!

2. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

what i always do is try to pull it all out atleast as much as possible then treat with bucaneer an that usually does the trick ! hope that helps ya an bucaneer is the same thing as roundup just cheaper!! see ya George

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Doesn't Roundup absorb through the plant and not through the roots? I'd suggest spraying and then pulling a week later?

4. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

That's how I would do it, too.....

5. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

on Ivy that doesnt work!! I promise ya ! Ivy is hard to kill even with a herbicide! I have sprayed this time an time again to no avail so i just pull as much as i can get out then spray the remaining roots that are left!! see ya george

6. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck with that. As Dirty Water stated, glyphosate is foliar absorbed. I guess if you put enough on the roots' green tissue, you could kill it. Kind of like a stump treatment.....

7. kenel

kenel LawnSite Member
    Male, from Chicago, il

ground ivy? super trimec.

8. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

When I remove ivy I only make one guarantee- that it will come back eventually. If you plant grass in it's place that should help choke it out, but all it takes is one little piece of live root and it can start to grow again.

9. Rcgm

Rcgm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Pull as much as you can then then roto till it and then triox it.Should do the trick.

RCGM
    Brad

10. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

It is NOT comming back if you remove right.. Ill post some pics now... the easiest way is to remove it the way you would an old rug.... Cut the ivy in widths of about 3 feet.. and start to roll it.... you will get about 7 feet before the roll is to big and needs to be cut.... the ivy rolling onto it self forces the roots out.... its very labourous however.. This is also the way we were taught in our native restoration class last year... also.. we used a bobcat to help push the rolls....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]