1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Getting Rid Of Moles

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by EDEN77, Jan 26, 2006.

1. EDEN77

EDEN77 LawnSite Member

OK, what is the best way to get rid of those doggone moles ? They seem to pop up all over a property, dig holes, and burrow tunnels until the lawn is like Swiss cheese. My text books say get rid of the insects and hopefully the moles will look elsewhere for food. That has not worked well enough for me. What products are available to kill the moles while you kill the pests ?
  2. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Talprid is what I use and some use kaput.
    Moles are not caused just by grubs they are also mainly caused by earthworms which of course you do not want to get rid of. Good Luck!
  3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Talprid works well, just be sure to follow directions to a "t"
  4. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

Blistering Defense makes the soil very unpleasant tasting for about a month which will not deter earthworms but it will make it hard, if not impossible for grubs to feed and also for moles.

Hot mouth seems to make them want to feed somewhere else.

5. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

6. EDEN77

EDEN77 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the link to the moleman. I didn't know how much I didn't know about moles.
  7. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

I have to register my vote for Talpirid. Works great.
  8. JWTurfguy

JWTurfguy LawnSite Senior Member

I'm throwing my vote in with Talpirid as well. I've heard a lot of people say they've been able to trap them successfully, but that's way too much work for me....Follow the instructions for Talpirid and you'll be all set. It's actually really easy.
  9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Trap um or get a cat on them is the only true proven ways to get rid of them.You might also try
    "Gardens Alive" they have an organic mole product might help