Getting Rid Of Moles

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by thesargent, Oct 3, 2006.

1. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

so i pull up to one of my accounts(the ownwer lives out of state) and there are about 15-20 large mole hills in the middle of the lawn! whats the best way to get rid of moles? they are going to destroy the turf. are there people to hire that can poison or trap them somehow. should i find out and get a quote and tell the owner or should i just tell him and let him take care of it. thanks for your time.
  2. Let-it-mow!

Let-it-mow! LawnSite Member

We had moles for years on 20+ acres of athletic fields. Some areas almost looked like they were freshly plowed from all the tunnels.

Nothing worked. Driving over tunnels, gum, Tried all the baits. Sprayed castor oil, even put up "owl houses" hoping to attract some owls. We trapped and cought 3 or 4 a day sometimes. But they kept coming.

Just over a year ago I heard about Talparid, a new bait that looks, tastes, and feels like earthworms. Moles eat earthworms almost exclusively.

It took three applications over about 2 months and they're gone. I mean gone!

I still keep a box on my truck just in-case I see a new tunnel but haven't yet.

I'm not a brand loyal kind of guy and I don't like hype for new gadgets much. But this is one exception. Talparid works!

It's a bit involved to do it right, poke holes, wait a few days for moles to fill in holes, insert worms with gloved hands, poke more holes. Takes a few weeks. But did I mention that it works?
  3. thesargent

alright, thanks. i ended up getting one of those battery powered stakes that you push down one of their holes, it sends out a low frequency sound every 30 seconds or so. i talked to a guy today and said they work good. since the grass area isnt very big i thought id give it a try. ill let you know how it works.
  4. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Chewing gum, Talparid, battery powered stakes, urine, crows feathers, shaving cream, monkey paws, salt, cat sh*t, shark teeth, coffee grounds, oregano, noxema, fruit loops, etc....

Nothing beats trapping (CAUTION: may be illlegal in your state - it is in ours ;)) the little buggers.

5. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Would Talparid be considered a Pesticide, thus a person would need a license to apply it?

My dad has a small mole problem and I guess he could apply it himself but I'm wondering...
  6. thesargent

good question 5.0boy. i wonder.
  7. Brian B

Brian B LawnSite Senior Member

we have these traps we just shove into one of the tunnels and eventually a mole will hit it and BOOM! it spears those SOB's with three spikes. it takes a while sometimes but it works
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, talpirid is a pesticide. Its a.i. is bromethalyn.