Getting Rid Of Moles

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by gmlcinc, Mar 25, 2007.

1. gmlcinc

gmlcinc LawnSite Member

Some one told me that in order to get rid of moles you can take those candy worms and put them into their tunnels. They say that when the moles eat them that they can't digest them and die. Any one ever heard of doing this?
  2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I used sticks of Juicy Fruit gum. I just broke them into smaller peices and put them in the holes and in about a week we didnt see them anymore. We tried this at a customers house and had the same success. For .89cents its worth a try. We had Voles also, they are like moles but they dont seem to dig tunnels as the damn moles do.
  3. maintenanceguy

maintenanceguy LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Discussed here a hundred times, I've posted this almost as many,.

I have 20+ acres of athletic fields. moles so bad it looked like the fields had been plowed. Same problems for as long as anyone can remember.

We've tried: trapping (up to 4 or 5 moles per day), juicy fruit gum, all the baits on the market, sprayed with castor oil, even put up owl houses to attract predators.

Two years ago, I heard about Talparid, a new mole bait. First one to ever submit testing to the EPA to prove that it works. MAde by bell labs.

It's little earth worms that apparently smell and taste like the real thing and the blind moles eat them and die.

We treated the 20+ acres for about a month. THe moles were gone. Completely gone.

It's been two years and now we get a mole trail or maybe two in the fall and spring. I've had one show up on a baseball outfield this year.

We baited the trail and I'm confident we won't see another mole unitl the fall.

We went from hundreds of trails, dozens of new ones each week, to two or three trails a year. It's amazing.

Talparid Talparid Talparid.
  4. RandyS

RandyS LawnSite Member

5. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Is this product good for voles? I am in South Jersey too. and we have voles. Thanks in advance.
  6. Green Thumb Mowing Srvcs.

Green Thumb Mowing Srvcs. LawnSite Member

Harry, No it doesn't work on Voles because their diet is different. They eat seeds, bulbs, roots and the like where moles diet consists of earthworms, bugs grubs and the like. On Voles, try the Gopher bait which is seeds, corn wheat, rye and bird seed covered in a poison you can get it at lowes. I have had luck with that. But Talprid is the ONLY way to go for Moles!!!!!
  7. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks for the tip!! I think I could get up to $140 for a guaranteed mole kill service in my area. If its that good . I would have to guarantee to re-treat for free if tunnels returned in 1 lawn season [8months]. I battle them in my own lawn with traps but that is a hit or miss deal. You could never charge enough to make that method profitable.
  8. puddin' pie

puddin' pie LawnSite Member

the man at lesco told me about these, i asked him is you could break this "worm" in have and use it that way. he said no. you've used it, did you use them whole or could they be broke in half? thanks for the input, have so many yards damaged by moles.
  9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

just killing the moles though doesn't solve the problem.

Kinda like getting rid of sooty mold but leaving the aphids behind...

Why are the moles/voles there... Chances are youhave another pest problem that brings the moles over....
  10. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

I have to disagree. there's this myth that moles = grubs and yes you want to get rid of grubs, but the truth is earth worms are moles favorite thing to eat and earthworms are good for the soil, you don't want to get rid of them.