1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

getting rid of moss

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by greenhornet, Mar 3, 2008.

1. greenhornet

greenhornet LawnSite Member

i have a lot if moss growing in my back yard. it is not a totally shady area though. should i add a lot of lime first or aerate first and then add lime. or do any of you know the right first step toward combating a moss problem. thanks
  2. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

I had a similar situation here in SE PA. I had all the trees taken up to let the sunlight in & douse (yes: douse) the yard with lime regularly. All the moss was gone the first year.
  3. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Before you start throwing anything down, I strongly recommend that you have a soil test done, to determine the soil pH.

You'll need to take probably 5 or 6 'cores' with a soil probe, each about 3 to 4 inches deep, from different spots in the yard.

It's best to have it professionally done, from a place like CLC Labs.
    The kits you buy at the 'box' stores are not very reliable !!

Powdered or pelletized lime raises pH.
    Sulfur, vinegar, and cottonseed meal are examples of things that can lower the soil's pH.

Here's some insight from another Cincinnatian; now transplanted to Warren Co:
    Hamilton Co soil is clayey, and is (generally) high in pH.
    And remember, a lot of the soil in that region came from the limestone / dolomite bedrock, that is present under your very feet right now !!
    (The rest of it was washed in the region with glacial waters.)

About the only consistently good use for 'lime' I've seen in most areas of Cincinnati....is neutralizing dog pee damaged soil, from Fido eating "el-cheapo" dog food too much !!!
  4. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

Aeration can help, also. I have found that if no other solutution will work long-term (ph adjustment with lime, etc.) aeration actually does work.
  5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Depending on the type of moss you have...carfentrazone (Quick Sivler) will take it out.
  6. EGL&L

EGL&L LawnSite Member

A trick I learned while a golf course superintendent, use a spray solution of 1 part Dawn liquid detergent to 6 parts water. This acts as a desiccant and drys the moss.