Getting rid of my new mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BMFD92, Apr 28, 2005.

1. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

After using the husqvarna for a good week on everyday schedule, I release that this mower is the one for me. It is a good mower with good cut but it has some scalping issues, its slow, and just takes up to much room on the trailer and overall hard to manuver. I think I will trade it in for a new Scag fixed deck hydro with the 48" deck. I like my scag now it just needs hydro. Anyone every trade in a new mower for a different one? Also does anyone know the cost of a SCAG Hydro with the fixed deck and 48" 17 kawaski and the same version for Bobcat? Please dont tell me to get a ferris or exmark because their is not a dealer near me and the turf tracer hp is to expensive and the viking is underpowered. These four are the only brands i prefer so stick to info for them for my sake. If anyone has used the Scag or Bobcat hydros please give me info on how they are and if they are worth trading in for.

2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought the Scags were about 5,000 give or take a couple hundred. They are cetainly not the most inexpensive out there.

3. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

Hey BMFD92.

Since you are in live in Ossining or Westchster County you are probably looking at $5,200 for a Scag HYDRO fixed deck 48" with a 17hp Kawi. I bought the same mower last summer and I absolutely love it. I believe the Bobcat is approx. $400-$600 cheaper, but I'm not 100% sure. Check Ossining Lawnmower and Quality Lawnmower in Yorktown for prices.

If you like your Scag belt drive now, then you will surely love the Scag hydro. Also, in '05 they increased the gas tank to 6 gallons and added a built in cup holder on the tank. They also changed some of the hardware on the grips to make them more comfortable, but I haven't actually used an '05 model to confirm.

I'm sure you will take a hit on trading in your new mower. The best bet is to clean it up really nice when you do trade it in or put it in the pennysaver and see what happens.

I agree that there aren't a lot of Exmark dealers in our area and the Viking equivalant is underpowered with a 15hp Kawi.

4. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

yea. It is still in good shape with probably less then 50 hours on it. Probably about 20 hours. Hopefully Vinnie from Ossining Lawnmower will cut me some slack. He told me that I can always return the mower if I don't like it so hear I am

5. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

Iv had my BobCat walk behind for at least 5 years now. I use it each and every day still. It cuts and stripes great. Nothing major has ever broken on it. It has well over 1000 on it.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Congrats on your decision and thanks for being BIG enough to let everyone know.

I hope you are happy with your next choice.

I also hope you don't get raped on your trade-in deal. But knowing what I know about the resale value of this brand and a few others.... well it's probably going to hurt some, even if the dealer you trade with is most excellent.

Good luck!!!

7. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I think Scag is a good choice. I was in the same boat last year with a Hustler that I didn't like. My only difference was the dealer wouldn't take it back on a trade. :angry: I picked up a used TTHP 52" only because I found a new dealer that I like and trust who was an Exmark dealer.....but I would have bought a Scag.

IMHO, a Scag is far better than a Bobcat. I have a 36" belt Bobcat that I think is a POS compared to my old 48" Scag. The 48" Scag I had never scalped and left a beautiful stripe. The only reason I got rid of it was because it was a belt.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Last summer, my dealer gave me quotes on SCAG 48" SWZ's

17hp Kawi = $4795
    18hp Honda = $4895

Still wish SCAG made the more compact "Classic" deck. Actually the one with the fully rounded trim side. The newer Advantage decks are a lot longer in length, and that front trim corner is rediculous.

Sure wish eXmark would wake up on their Viking line and offer 17-18hp on these units. For 2005, eXmark offers a 19hp Kawi on the floating deck WB's, while their Viking suffers with a measly 15hp???

Still holding my breath for a 44" Viking with a 17hp Kawi.

9. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Why in the world you bought a Husquavarna WB in the first place? Most of their machine are something which I don't want to say...and now you are stuck. Scag hydro WB is very good but they still use pistol which is never for me again since I acquired 52" TTHP.
    Hope you find a perfect mower for you..by the way , the 17 Kawi is very very good motor try to use synthetic after 150 hrs break-in.