1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

getting rid of posion ivy?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Jerry and Sons, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Jerry and Sons

Jerry and Sons LawnSite Member
    from Pa

I am not in the chemical end of the business, but I am truely in need of help! My wife and I are currently building a house on a wooded lot. I have removed the trees from the vicinity of the house, but there are a large number of trees that are remaing and are covered in posion ivy. The leaves loook to be at least six inches long and the vines on the trees are over three inches thinck in some spots. I am worried since I have two small children that do not know what posion ivy is. I am looking for the most effective way to remove and kill the ivy. any help would be appreciated.
  2. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

Use a product called Everything Must Go! It will kill everything you spray within a few hours and will not damage the trees.

3. viking72

viking72 LawnSite Member

Roundup QuikPRO.
    It is a wettable powder, 1 package to 1 gal. of water.
  4. Jerry and Sons

from Pa

what about cutting the root base and then spraying. This is the only way i can imagine to kill the whole thing. What do you think?
  5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

If you mean cutting it down then spraying, don't. The herbicide will need to be absorbed through foliage. I would use Round Up pro, it is not as fast as Quick Pro, but Quick pro has Diquat which is nasty stuff. Spray it wait a week or two then cut it all out.
  6. nbizati

nbizati LawnSite Member

Cutting the poison and spraying may stop growth but the poison will still be active in the cut plant. You will need to get some old clothes, gloves, goggles. I would throw away everything when done and get a cortizone shot right after your done for safe measure.;) but seriously if you have alot of poison ivy you might consider getting a professional crew to remove it. JMO:weightlifter:
  7. Jerry and Sons

from Pa

Do you know of a company that handles this stuff?
  8. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

If they are really thick vines you can cut the vines and then "paint" them with undiluted round up concentrate. If you can reach the entire plant with a sprayer, just hose the whole thing down with a good strong dose of round up. Add some spreader sticker. Make sure you get tall of the leaves, and get ready to keep on spraying. Poison ivy is very tenacious and will continue to come back.
  9. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

cut the vines near the ground and paint with garlon. guaranteed kill. WEAR LONG
  10. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

get a big rocket launcher and...stand back