Getting rid of shrubbery, tree trimmings etc

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by kandklandscape, Jan 26, 2008.

1. kandklandscape

kandklandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

Its getting harder and harder to get rid of debris anymore with DEP on your butt 24-7.

We have our own dump site, well part owner. When we first started out 9 years ago, everything was fine for 5 years until 4 years ago the neighbor turned us in. The co owner of the property wanted to build a garage there. Of course it was on a hillshide that we wanted to fill in. Well DEP says it is marked residential and we cannot fill it in. We used to push it back..... 4-6 times a season. We have tons and tons of debris there. No garbage, just tree limbs, shrubbery etc. The last time we were there DEP was there and said if we dump anymore we will get arrested, the next time we were there they were there ready to arrest one of our forman. How crazy we have land and cant even dump on it:(

We were previously dumping at a coal mine, however DEP got us there to! OK you cannot even take this debris to the dump, it is illegal to take there!!! Where are you to dump it anymore?

The past year we used another dump site, but it is a pain because you need to block the hole road because you have to back up to the guard rail. And we have to do tis sometimes 10-25 times a day. It gets to be a pain. So who has thoughts of trying to find a place for dirty fill. We were thinking of buying a chipper, chips seem alot easier to get rid of then dirty fill.

Any suggestions?

We are located in Johnstown PA

2. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Your county dump won't take your debris? I find that hard to believe.

3. kandklandscape

from PA

Yes its true, they said to dump it in the woods, I am totally serious about this to! I have been paying some people here and there like $5 a truck to get rid of it.... it adds up quickly seeing we have so much to get rid of all the time. I was thinking of getting a dumpster container, going to call dump and see if that would be possible?

4. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

Isn't great to see your tax dollars at work. You can't fill in a hole in your own yard but a large corp will dump toxic waste at the state dump and it's fine. Try asking a local farmer I doubt they would care if you dumped soil, clipping or woodchips for a small price.

5. LawnMastersTx

LawnMastersTx LawnSite Member

Can you not burn the stuff? I have a burn pile in the back of my yard where I burn my customers stuff that I trim off their yards.

6. kandklandscape

from PA

Well where our new location and old location we have burn restrictions. I am going to see about the farmer thing. That is a good idea!

7. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

The landfill won't let you dump there? At our landfill, we can dump clippings or trash for $27 a ton. What about buying a couple of acres zoned for agriculture?

8. echeandia

What county are you in? I want to call your landfill.

9. kandklandscape

from PA

cambria county & somerset county

10. echeandia

Well I just got off the phone with the Executive Director of the Cambria County Solid Waste Authority. He told me that you need to bring your recyclable waste to the Blair County Compost Facility located in Ashville. Their contact information, hours of operation, fees, and address can be found here: http://www.blaircounty.org/#COMPOSTFACILITY. I did not try Somerset County but you should be able to contact them and get the information yourself.