1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Getting Rid of Squirrels

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by FRUSTRATED IN CHARLOTTE, Apr 2, 2010.

I live in a neighborhood with a ton of trees. It's actually one of the reasons we wanted this neighborhood rather than one where the builder just bull dozed every tree in sight. But with the trees comes the squirrels.

They never bothered me before but they sure are now. Just when my lawn is looking lush I now have to deal with the craters the squirrels are digging up.

I've found a number of products that claim to be effective and non-toxic but I'm wondering if any of you have had any success with them.

The products I'm looking at are:
    Shake-Away; I Must Garden, Messina Wildlife Squirrel Stopper and Critter Repellent.

Has anyone tried these and did they work? If not, what has worked? What about the electronic repellents?

Any insight is great appreciated.
  2. KarlP

KarlP LawnSite Member
    from MA

Air rifle, pet falcon, or capture in HaveAHeart trap baited with nuts and kill/relocate at your discretion.
  3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

So how did your lawn renovation work out?

I also have a need to get rid of some ground squirrels, but from what I have heard, short of trapping and moving them to a different location, they are nearly impossible to get rid of.
  4. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member

just enjoy them. they cant hurt your lawn that much. i live in minthill and have lots of trees and squirrels and i enjoy watching them, my dog likes to chase them, and my daughter thinks there funny.
  5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Use a "live trap", and bait them with peanut butter spread on ritz crackers. They love that. Then, to dispose of them once you get one in a trap, do your choice of the following:
    1. Hold trap under water in a big tub or tank, until squirrel is dead
    2. Take trap and animal to your local city animal control office for disposal
    3. Take trap and animal way out into the countryside and turn it loose.
    I prefer option number 3 myself. My father-in-law, who had quite a reputation in his town for trapping squirrels, liked option number 1
  6. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Whack a squirrel hit one 2 more come. It's a losing battle not worth fighting.
  7. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

yeah, dont worry about them, and if the little holes are bothering you too much, just put a little more seed in them to fill it back in, that is what i do. not worth fighting them as there will be more and then it becomes a crusade against nature which you wont win
  8. georgiagrass

georgiagrass LawnSite Senior Member

I had a problem with squirrels eating my flowers. I trapped about a dozen of them with a Hav-a-Heart trap, using peanut butter. I just spread the peanut butter in the lid of an old peanut butter jar. I relocated the squirrels I caught several miles away, just turned them loose. Worked great.
  9. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

mmmm...squirrel ka bobs
  10. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

I love sautéed squirrel and onions.

I eat most of the ones I shoot...