Getting rid of stale gasoline

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by avjohnson, Feb 22, 2008.

1. avjohnson

avjohnson LawnSite Member

What is the best "acceptable" way of disposing of gas that you know is bad? Since gas seems to go bad faster than it used to this is something I never really had to deal with as much as I do now. Any recommendations?

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

If you just have a little in a can that has gone bad, the best way to dispose of it is pour it in your truck. It won't bother the truck's engine at all.

3. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

I am not sure of this but you may be able to take it in to a place like Advanced auto or another place that takes used oil and dispose of it there.

I don't know of any other places that might take it. You probably need to look in the phone book for recycling centers of some sort to take the stuff or have a big bon-fire and use it up......:dancing:

4. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Bon fire, storm drain, kitchen sink drain, trash dumpster...there are a lot of ways to do it. Myself, I'd probably take it to the hazardous waste section at the landfill.

5. American_Lawn

American_Lawn LawnSite Member

50 gallon drum, some brush, and a match. Just kidding. Call a local autoparts store, they should help.

6. avjohnson

avjohnson LawnSite Member

Thanks for the ideas so far. Our landfill only does haz stuff once a year which is a pain.

7. Greenery

Greenery LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with grits if it's just a couple of gallons I would just dump it into your truck then top off the truck with some fresh stuff.

8. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

here is another vote for the truck....did so with about 5 gallons of 3 month old gas just recently....at 3 something a gallon, hate to dump it!

9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Use it for the next bonfire you make or take it to Advance Auto Parts...The storm drain idea is a good one, just make sure you are up stream for a very delicate ecosystem containing frog, birds, turtles, ducks and otters.

10. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Yes definitely, that's always the most important part.