1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Getting rid of tall fescue in Kentucky Bluegrass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rvsuper, Mar 18, 2003.

1. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

How do you get rid of this ugly patchy stuff? I have had this stuff along a side of my sidewalk where I reseeded when we replaced it, and it doesn't look good with the rest of my lawn is Bluegrass. I found it really hard to pull. What do you guys do? Thanks.
  2. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

Seems like I read about a product the Dow puts out that will kill tall fescue in KBG. Might try checking with Lesco
  3. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

You want chlorsulfuron. Was first marketed by Lesco about 10-13 years ago as TFC. Last saw it made by Riverdale as Corsair.

It is a WDG that is selective to control tall fescue and ryegrass. I've used it mostly when some rumdum contractor overseeds damaged bluegrass with rye. Not instantaneous on tall fescue, may need 2-3 apps, but it will get rid of it. Be sure of your grasses - if you have a significant amount of rye, chlorsulfuron will smoke the rye in a single app.