Getting rid of tiny flying insects in potted plants

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Armadillolawncare, Nov 23, 2007.

1. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Armadillolawncare
    It just seems that way, think honeymooners, why I aughta......to the moon Alice!

Insectidial soaps are a very good product for your application, just read the ingredients before purchasing

2. Nate@TLCS

Nate@TLCS LawnSite Member

LOL. I'll agree with Bill, His idea is also a"quick fix".LOL we all need to:drinkup:

3. Nate@TLCS

Nate@TLCS LawnSite Member

No, I do not advertize as an organic company.
    Honestly never heard of "mycorrhiza fungi"( but would like to know)
    And you know as well as I do that when safe applicating practices are used, the danger to the applicator and the consumer are severely low!
    If you get into some weed control in pure form....your'e hurtin' It will peel paint for crying out loud. Look, I spray my own lawn, I have 3 kids and expecting my fourth in 2 weeks, a yellow lab and a cat. I trust myself and dont let anyone on the lawn until it is watered in(label directions). I respect your lifestyle and conviction and when I have a question about organics, I will probably ask you. Lett's just agree to disagree.

4. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Would I apply an insectacide soap directly to the soil? How much of the soap would I put in the soil? Any direction as far as application rates would be great.

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Follow the directions on the bottle. :)

6. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I was actually thinking of giving my neighbor a recipe for a homemade version which is why I needed help with quanity to apply.

7. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Gnats...No Problem...Remove the top layer of soil as said by others...and replace with the Miracle grow soil...Spray with a Organic Insecticidal soap.
    Remember...Don't over water...The larvae Thrives on over watered soils.:)

8. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

You must have missed my contribution to this thread. I had the same problem with A premium brand of bagged soil. I honestly don't remember the brand name as it has been 3-4 years ago but Miracle grow was one of the likely brands. Any contact killer will provide quick but temporary results. you need to do both a soil product and a contact kill if you are not patient enough to wait on the soil kill to get to the root of the problem.

I am not as confident about the insecticidal soap soil drench myself. You know one of the reasons soap used to be such a great and deadly product was the phosphates that were in the soaps. They would eat through the protective shells of all kinds of critters even pearl scale. Not the case anymore, look at the ingredients on the bottles they even advertise "no phosphates".

Just be glad its one pot and outside now. I was dealing with a professional golfer and a home that looked like the rain forest on the inside with all the plants. He had all these decaying pots and crappy plastic saucers and a housekeeper that thought they were supposed to be hydroponically grown. I transplanted everything into new sealed pots with saucers and gave the housekeeper a moisture meter. Then there where the gnats! There were clouds of them, he complained he couldn't see the TV through them. I sprayed and killed them off and 3-4 days later they were back like the plague. Thank god he traveled a lot and I had a window of time to let the nematodes do their work.

Good luck with your problem..

9. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes I did miss It ...sorry:)...I have never had any problems with Miracle grow
    I would say Its possible for Gnat larvae to be in any type of bagged soils.

I have also noticed that this year especially Is bad for the Gnats around this end of the country .

10. Newt*

Newt* LawnSite Member