1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Getting rid of Woodchuck

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by procut, Apr 16, 2005.

1. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

One of my commercial accounts has a woodchuck problem. The thing has managed to destroy almost all of the landscaping in front of the bulding. You should see the holes the thing has dug, they are literally 1-2 feet wide and I couldn't really tell how deep. I talked to one of the guys who works there and he said the thing is huge, probably weighs 25 pounds. Before we fix any of the damaged landscape, the woodchuck must be removed. Thus, my question is how. Will the county animal controll set a trap free, or will a exterminator/trapper have to be called?
  2. northwest lawn

northwest lawn LawnSite Member

take and use a live trap. or a leg hole trap and set it right by his hole ull catch him within a day then hit him in the head with a shovel a few times. we do it all the time when they get into our firewood piles

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Try rat poison
  4. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Live trap. Then dispose of it as you will. Do not use poisen, it can die in the hole and smell or endanger a lot of other animals, like birds that will feed on it. You also have to worry about dogs, csats, kids getting into the poisen.
  5. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

sub it out to a critter getter and charge the account accordingly.....
  6. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes everything seems to have an easy fix?.....I'd let their grounds dept handle it....then if there is a problem down the line you've washed your hands from the whole mess...now when you go, it gives you something eles to talk about with them? [ hows that trapping goin Boys?] :) :) :)
  7. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

You can always be like Bill Murry in Caddyshack and use C4. :D
  8. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats kind of what I had in mind. I perfer not to deal with wild animals anyway.
  9. greenwithenvylandscape

greenwithenvylandscape LawnSite Member

C4 and Duct tape will fix ANY problem!!!!!!
  10. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Cover all the holes with a rock and hook flexible pipe to the exhaust pipe of auto..Stick the other end into the hole and run the car until the critter sucumbs.