Getting rid of your grass.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DK lawn care, Apr 28, 2009.

1. DK lawn care

DK lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

I just got a new pick up this season. My cust would rather have me dump the grass in my pick up bed. I also like this idea better because its less work. For the LCO's that take the grass away, where do you dump it and how much do you often pay. Also, any LCOs in the northern ohio area no a place to dump?

2. freshcut419

freshcut419 LawnSite Member

I pay 7.50 per cubic foot to get rid of my grass.. about $35 per 8 foot truck load ..

3. Don't leave grass in the bed of your truck overnight unless you have a bedliner or something. It'll rust quicker than you could imagine.
    Landfills around here won't take lawn waste. Maybe you could find someplace that will take it to compost.

freshcut; With those figures wouldn't your truckbed be 1 foot wide and 6" deep? :confused:

4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Yeah, the math doesn't add up. I pay 5 bucks to dump my 6x12 trailer loaded with grass clippings to branches and debris.

5. Yater

Yater LawnSite Senior Member

Less work than what?

If they want it bagged, charge them for your time (+ 50% of the normal price), charge them for fuel to get to and from the dump, and charge them a dump fee ($7 here). If you bag all of your customers' grass, be sure to incorporate the time, dump fees, and extra fuel into your price.

6. TheC-Master

TheC-Master LawnSite Senior Member

We just have a landfill, but it is a bit of a distance.

7. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 LawnSite Senior Member

Talk to local farmers and work something out. Some of them let you dump it for their cows to eat.

8. CircleC

CircleC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW

I take my grass to the local landfill. I pay about 16 bucks for a bed load...I have a 99 F-150. It can get expensive when you are going 3 times a week. At the beginning of last year was paying about $10. I like the local farmer idea, I have a cow guy about 2 miles up the road from me.....thanks!

9. CircleC

CircleC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW

Oh I forgot to add....I do have a plastic bed liner, but I tarp everything. I put a huge tarp in the back that will fold over the sides and out the back. Makes pulling the grass out easier than shoveling. Shovel a little out....grab the front and get some momentum. Takes about 5 min to get rid of a bed load. Rather than 15 to 30 min when you shovel. Just some helpful info, helped me out. I learned that from a buddy, was shoveling and it sucked!

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I just lower the tailgate and then go find myself a 70mph highway, the stuff vanishes like magic.