1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Getting rid of Yucca's

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by xtreem3d, Sep 15, 2012.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Guys,
    I have just taken over a business that had the old landscape ripped out and new installed with no weed barrier put down. Now the old Yucca's (from the best I can tell) are coming up all over. We tried pulling them but most break off under ground (extremely long root stalks)and the ones that do come out have what looks like multiple "nodules" ...reminds me alot of nutsedge...will gly kill these off or does it need a 'specialty chem like nutsedge does?
    Thanks.
    Steve

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Yucca needs 2,4-D or Garlon ester mixed in diesel and sprayed into the crowns. Let them regrow till they have a crown and hit it. I hate it when people just cut or dig weeds/plants/trees that have the capability to regrow from remaining stumps-roots.

3. xtreem3d

xtreem3d LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the tip..We don't see many Yucca's here anymore and so when we started pulling them they were extremely small and I couldn't identify them. As we got around the corner to a bigger bed you could see "full size" yucca's had resprouted..them I recognized them,
    Steve

4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

No problem. I am quite the renegade in the landscape and VM industry here. Others are fixated on cutting and digging. I am after final solutions for weeds and undesirable vegetation.

5. battbrad

battbrad LawnSite Member

Here's a link to the treatment I used to kill all the new yucca plant shoots at our property boundary that resulted from my neighbor trying to dig the plant up. It's been over a year now since the last treatment with no new shoots, so hopefully we got it. We had to re-treat new shoots once after the original treatment.
    http://repository.tamu.edu/bitstream/handle/1969.1/87149/pdf_1635.pdf?sequence=1
    Turns out that digging them up is about the worst thing you can do - it expands the area of new growth to the boundary of the hole that was dug. I think that the active ingredient in Remedy is the same as in Turflon Ester, but Remedy is actually labelled for this use.

Brad

6. battbrad

battbrad LawnSite Member

I should add, however, that Remedy is only labelled for application on rangeland, pastures, and CRP acreages.