Getting rid .. yes .. rid of customers

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Deere John, Dec 20, 2000.

1. Deere John

Deere John LawnSite Senior Member

This tread is not really timely, but how do you get rid of a customer that YOU no longer want to do? Not one that gives you and excuse, but one that you feel your business can do without.

2. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

We have contracts with all our customers.
    Neither us nor them can get rid of the other for no reason.

Finish the year and raise the price next year.

3. Deere John

Deere John LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry, I guess I didn't make myself clear. By timely, I was thinking of during the off season when you rationalize your accounts for the coming season.

I am obliged to continue my current accounts, and I will, good, bad or otherwise. Diesel fuel is still cheaper than my reputation.

Let it snow, let it snow ...

4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I send a one-sentence letter basically stating, due to unforseen obligations I will no longer be able to service lawn care/snow removal at xxx(location).

Thats it.

5. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Give them a call and tell them that you can't provide you service for them anymore.Explain why and if they still really want your business,tell them it will cost more $$$$$.To me the best way to get rid of a client is to give them a large price raise.If they quit,too bad.If they contine then you have a nice raise!!!!That's how I do it!

6. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

If you don't want to account. I agree with bill send out a short letter 2 to 3 sentences.

Thank them for their business in the past.
    Then state that you will no long be able to remove their snow for them.

Don't explain why you don't want them. If you do they will try to get you to service them again. It is a lot easier for them to call and say we really want you to do our snow again, then to call another contractor. If the reason you drop them is because you need more money, you will be stuck trying to come to a new price that works for both them and you.

If you don't want them anymore, don't leave a chance for you to get stuck doing them again.

Geoff

7. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

Been there this season. First problem was with my best friend, total mess, I got around $ 11,000 worth the accounts for him(from his referals), he also plows, asked how he wanted to get paid. I assumed he was going to subcontract them from me., planed on giving him extra for referals, he wanted half total business. Ended up sending out a letter stating _____contractor will be assuming resposiblity & liability for your contract, kept 10%, for sales commision.
    Now my only full time summer employee, second year plowing,said collesting unemployment to much hassle, will probably quit plowing and find fulltime job. Now I might have to drop to parking lots, due to lack of help, I'm trying to find subs first. Not a lot of money on lots, have to be done between 8-11am.