Getting riped off on parts where to shop and where not

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnsRUsInc., Sep 18, 2007.

1. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Well i looked at the J-thomas magazine for a hydro pump, checked prices found out it will take them a week to get it well thats not going to work but j-thomas has always been great. Well i called the local dealer that i have bought 10 machines from in the past 3.5 years well their price isnt working but they have 1 in stock. So then i decided to called landscaper pro. they took more than better care of me and i will see the pump tomorrow. Wait till u see the price difference. does any one else have issues like this? Also the closest dealer is 12 miles! We need more local parts dealers.

J-thomas $399.00
    landscaper pro $405.00
    Dealer $788.00 then well we can sell it to u for $680.00 "whats with that?

2. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

It's called retail....

3. DOLMARatOS

DOLMARatOS LawnSite Member

It's really simple:

J-Thomas and the other Parts Depots get their parts from the pump manufacturer. Your dealer is probably getting it from the mower manufacturer.

Pump has to travel from pump manufacturer (Profit) to mower manufacturer (Profit) to your dealer (Profit) then to you.......

I'd be willing to bet that your dealer is seeing less mark-up on that part (ie making less money) than J-Thomas or another parts supplier. I'd explain this to the dealer and let them know that the difference is too great. Don't just automatically assume that the dealer is ripping you off if in fact they are paying more for the part.

On the other hand, they could have gotten the part cheaper or through a parts warehouse and are trying to make the big $$$$ off of you. Depends upon the store I guess.

4. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy it and install it.

Chances are that if the pump went out, the motor is sure to follow, right behind it.

Are you experienced in hydraulics? Can you check the pressures?
    That is why we have dealers.
    They have the experience and knowledge and equipment to do the repair.

You will have to replace the motor as well as the pump.
    To do otherwise is only buying cheap limited time. Why did it fail? Metal shards in the oil?

You cannot blast the dealer because of the dealer support and warranty and his overhead. If he [if he is like my dealer] he will stand behind the repair.

Go ahead and replace the pump, you are sure to find motor failure soon after, and when you do, the damage from the motor failure will transfer to the new pump so now, you have created a cycle of failure.

You cannot replace one without the other, is my experience.

Take it to a professional who knows what they are doing. You don't. sorry.

It is cheaper in the long run. Been there, done that last Fall with my Hustler Z.

figure about 1500-1700 dollars a side for replacement of both the pumps and motors.

5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Why would you need more local parts dealers? You just proved in your post that you do not want to buy from your "local parts dealer" , so why should any other ones pop up to try to sell to people like you?

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The price difference has to do with warranty coverage, plain and simple.
    We can argue about it but not with me, talk with your dealer when that mail order part goes bad, I done went through it.

As was said, so long you can repair stuff yourself then mail order is fine.
    Cheaper it isn't, if it fouls up then you spend that money on labor fixing it yourself.
    But if it works dandy then you make out, the parts usually work dandy but not always.
    That's what it's about, we take risks in order to make a profit.

If this kind of risk is not up your alley then see your dealer.

7. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Well we have a mechanic to fix this issue there are no metal shavings in the oil. What would one more dealer in the area throw into the mix, competition! All three prices i listed are oem pumps and not rebuilds.

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

If the dealers installed price was 680 and it was backed by them then it may be worth it for someone who doesn't have resources or knowledge to fix it. If that 680 is just for the pump and its a DIY fix then the dealer can pound sand.
    Think about the lawn care bidding process,
    lawn care guy 1= 35.00 per cut
    lawn care guy 2= 38.00 per cut
    your bid #3 = 37.00 per cut
    lawn care guy 4= 70.00 per cut

You may not get the job but you are in the ballpark for bidding. The homeowner will not be able to justify #4 no way, no how. Same as the parts deal described above. You have to look out for the bottom line of your business and I agree with your decision. Dealers have to make a profit but a +300 dollar markup on something is robbery, I would like to see the dealer justify that by the numbers.

9. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Information a tech always needs. Parts changers can operate with less.

How was it determined the wheel motor was bad?
    Was it road tested, flow tested or guessed at.

Is the system losing fluid or foaming?

What is the use history on the unit? hours between service-type of use

How many hours on the unit

Has the unit been used for towing?

Have OEM hydro filters been used and how often?

Has the system been drained and the fluid replaced during each service?

What is the condition of the dampeners?

Do you plan to just replace the wheel motor now and then both the wheel motor and pump at a later date?

Who is going to warranty this shade tree repair and do you plan to be environmentally proper when opening the system?

Oldtimer
    Pensacola, Florida

10. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Most dealers in my area I feel are unethical with their pricing. When you need something right away, they try to jack you on the price. Personally I think the whole mower manufacturer/dealer relationship is crap for the small guy. For the amount we pay for these machines I think the warranties should be longer and I think the dealers should post their prices for diagnostics and repairs up front. If given the opportunity to support my dealers or buy a part cheaper from someone outside my region, well my first responsibility is to myself and my family not the dealer.