Getting seeds to sprout quicker?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BSDeality, May 26, 2003.

1. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I used to work at a golf course a couple years ago and one of the maintanence guys was a few eggs short of a basket, but he told me he could get grass (freshly seeded) to grow in a day or two. I forget what he said (at the time i just kind of discarded it) but i remembered it the other day when i was seeding a little area.

Anyone got any ideas? It's been like 2 weeks since i planted the seeds and they're just starting to sprout, but i have a feeling its because of the virtually non-stop rain we've had for the last 2 weeks.

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Sunshine and water, God takes care of the rest.

3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

you can presprout seed by soaking it in water, but it is hard to spread wet seed.:D

Mike

4. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

The warmer it is the quicker they will germinate naturally. I've seen it start coming up in 5-6 days. That was tall fescue in 85-90 degree days.

5. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Grass seed germinates in a repeated wet and dry environment. The hull absorbs water and swells, but needs to dry in between wettings. Seed can rot if kept too wet. As the swelling and drying proceeds, the hull finally cracks, and that is germination.

Pre-soaking to speed germination is accomplished by soaking the seed, drying it out, soaking, etc. The seed is then applied after one of the drying cycles.

You need to manage irrigation optimally after seeding to get best and quick germination. Bluegrass seed is usually stated to germinate in 14 to 21 days. With proper water management, you can get a green fuzz by day 7. In warmer temps, you can get up to 3 wet & dry cycles a day, so you can get quicker germination in warm weather. But I have heard of grass germinating in a refrigerator, LOL.

6. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

If I remember correctly, the larger the grass seed is, the faster it germinates. Normally seed has a 30 - 40 percent moisture content. It will not start to germinate until the seed has an 80% moisture content. Once that happens, the embryo swells up which produces giberellic acid. Then alphaamylase is produced which moves into the endosperm tissue which releases glucose so that the embryo has energy to germinate.