1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Getting settled leaves out of hedges?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by WHIPPLE5.7, Mar 16, 2008.

1. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a job getting leaves out of a row of hedges that are resting all along the bottom. I was going to try to blow them out and clean them up with a mower/bagger. I own a Echo blower/vac unit but the vac portion is not that wonderful. I want to do a good job because this customer could turn into a 1 acre mowing account as well.
  2. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

Get the big stuff with a rake first. Just pull it out quickly don't worry about making piles. Put a big blower on one side and have a backpack on the other blowing perpendicular to the big blower. You will also have to get the backpack tube in the bushes blowing from every angle to clean them out. If you don't have a big blower then a backpack and a rake will work. The rake is there to loosen everything up and the backpack will do most of the work. If it's just yourself with a backpack then plan on being there for a while to do a good job. Hope this helps.
  3. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

I've had to do this dozens of times with lilac bush hedges. Blowers and vacs haven't really worked for me because the leaves will tend to be wet and matted from the winter snows. The most economical way I have found to clean out leaves in this situation is to actually remove them by hand throwing them into a 30 gallon plastic trash can and then dumping this into a trailer. It may sound labor intensive but it's not. The matted leaves usually come out as sheets of leaves. If you have an area for dumping save these leaves for composting.
  4. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

They make small narrow rakesfor that purpose .get what you can and leave the rest of the duff to decay.
  5. 2stroke

2stroke LawnSite Senior Member

u dont have a powerfull enough blower then.
  6. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

Tell me what blower or vac will move WET,MATTED leaves?
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Well,...that's kind of what I was just thinking. If it was that echo Blower vac thing tat he was trying to blow that stuff out with, it is no wonder why the customer may be unhappy. take a regular backpack blower - preferably a higher power one, and preferably with a hook at the end of the hose and just BEAT that stuff out of there. Let's face it...there is ALOT more stuff that will come out with a real backpack, than with a handheld...especially one like that that has the great big tube on it (big hair dryer, basically).
  8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

yeah, you need only to have a high end high power backpack. we are using the echo 755 and it will move river rock with ease, matted leaves are nothing to this kind of power blower. th at would be the tool of choice my friend.
  9. tyler_mott85

tyler_mott85 LawnSite Senior Member

Two man job... Hire a cousin or neighbor teen.

One guy on a back pack blower...bigger the better.
    Second guy with a rake.

Blow from the back side towards where you want the leaves to go while the raker reaches from the front side to get the thick, matted down stuff. Make sure he wears safety glasses!
  10. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

I ended up using a very small rake and raked out what I could then got on my hands and knees to pull some more out. The Echo gas powered vac I got for this job is a piece of sh*t and I'm taking it back. What I couldn't get to I just used a blower to push further in out of sight. The job sucked, I underbid it, but the customer was happy and probably have me do some other things.