Getting sick, who will do the job?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Emar, Feb 23, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Emar

Emar LawnSite Member

I have 3 full days of maintenance landscaping work per week (+extra jobs) running the operations by myself. I hire workers for any extra work. Recently I got stomach flu and I was physically not able to function (fever/toilet etc.) I was behind 2 days on my scheduled work TUE/WED/THUR.

I realized that yea sometimes accidents/sickness happens and my business is me being able to physically do it. I’m wondering how do you guys deal with being sick or not able to work if you are still starting out and not have a crew to do the job?

Should I hire someone now for 2 times a week that will work with me and loose some of my profits to at least have someone back up if I get sick?
    Let me know what you think or if you went through with something like that, it would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

When your a one man show nearly anyone does not have the luxury of being physically sick.
    Usually if your not more than a week behind schedule most customers can and will be understanding.
    Do you have another job that takes up the other 3 or 4 days a week?, or are your Mondays and Fridays dedicated to estimates and catch up work?. Hiring more help to cover you when your sick or injured is a temporary fix, unless you can completely trust your crew to cover the work at hand. Your at the mercy of how
    fast you can recovery and get back on your feet. All the best.
    easy-lift guy

3. jeeperscrow

jeeperscrow LawnSite Senior Member

I've worried about this before myself. Or last summer when my truck went down and I had to deal with the hassle of that and then getting a rental and then a mower going down. It was a huge mess. But I found a way to get it done. Just always gotta find a way!

4. Emar

Emar LawnSite Member

Thanks for reply. Equipment failure there is always a quick fix and back up. U-haul rents trucks u can have one in a day. A mower going down you can do it with a self propelled one. I had a truck stop property, it took me 6 hrs with a 21" walk behind to cut all the lawn.

5. Emar

Emar LawnSite Member

Other days I do on call job. Thanks for reply.

6. jeeperscrow

yeah I had a yard where my mower went down and the homeowner told me I could use her push mower. What a disaster! The thing took 50 pulls to start then it died on me every couple of minutes. When I finally got done hours later she was like "I thought you were going to be here all night!"

Thankfully she's a great customer and didn't mind at all...obviously wouldn't have done that in many other situations. But it was no fun!

7. Emar

Emar LawnSite Member

Not to diss or disrespect you but not having a lawnmower back up is amateur. I keep 2 self propelled lawn mowers on truck for the day for me and one push at home as back up.
    If the customers lawn mower breaks down for any reason you would be on the hook for it.

8. jeeperscrow

no disrespect. I agree totally. I had two with me at the time, but the one that was broken down was in the way of the other one, and I wasn't about to try to get it off the trailer and then back on again, was way too heavy!

9. mclarke

mclarke LawnSite Member

Not as part of landscaping, but it was farming. I was working for a guy, and he was not home (out of town vacation). I had the flu, or some stomache bug. It sucked and every muscle did not want to move. I just "pinched" it till after and did the work.

Which brings me to: wanting to build a small toilet in my trailer. :)

10. Grahamslawncare

Grahamslawncare LawnSite Member

Smart idea. Then you won't have to ask the customer to use their restroom or (what I prefer) holding it till you get to a gas station.