1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Getting sick.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Black Water, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Black Water

Black Water LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering what the guys working solo would do if they were to get very sick, or injured? What happens with your accounts? Do you have some kind of arrangement with another Lco to pick up your slack? I did a search for getting sick to no avail. Any info will be greatly appreciated.:)
  2. sprout

sprout LawnSite Member

I called my accounts and told them I'd be back when I was well again. Everyone said fine, don't worry the lawn can wait. Just get your self well and we will see you then.
  3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

u got lucky. i needed surgury, and was out 8 weeks, lost a bunch of good clients. try gettin a guy around here to help u out. they all told me go screw.
  4. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Back in 90 was in a car accident beginning of May. Out of work till end of October. And I had 2 full maintenance crews then, over 300 accounts/

Customers called me in the hospital to cancel. Kept lossing all that season. Had enough men to do the work and they did excellent work. Well shortly after getting home from hospital fell into a nasty expensive habit. Was so depressed over everything that the following year I was a vegetable. In those 2 seasons I lost 50% of my business. The habit continued through the 3rd year. At the end of it all I lost 65% of the business I originaly had.

Where I am at now. I would not change anything of my past.

But it just goes to show how people are. They lose a job or get injured and fall behind on payments that's OK. Turn it around and your history. That's OK, they lost out. And today I have regained some of those that wised up.
  5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

expensive habit? u care to share? i mean, do u have any left over?