Getting Some Attention

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tinmansoccer11, Aug 14, 2004.

1. tinmansoccer11

tinmansoccer11 LawnSite Member

What is the best way to get some accounts, or to get your name out there, or whatever? I passed out a lot of flyers, but everyone knows those are a shot in the dark. Thanks.

2. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

If you live in a smaller community, phone book ads work pretty well. Putting your name on your truck/trailer works. Everyone says word of mouth works great...but you kind of have to have customers to get work of mouth! Keep plugging the advertising machine. Most companies when they are starting out have to advertise quite frequently to get their name out.

3. tinmansoccer11

Sounds good. Yeah, I do live in a small community. Someone else mentioned putting my name on my truck, so I guess I will try that. Thanks for the help.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

always remember that is is the unusual things is what people remember

5. rodbite

rodbite LawnSite Member

I think the best is Flyers or Door to Door Introductins. I am finally starting my business and here is the response i have gotten.

150 flyers 3 small jobs and 2 monthly customers
    350 flyers 2 small jobs and 4 Monthly Customers (This was 3 days before hurricane Charley.

Rod

6. tinmansoccer11

I put out some flyers...probably only about 50-75. So I'll have to hand more out. I try to target the areas in the community where more elderly people live. Do you think that is a good idea?

7. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

I passed out approx. 1000 fliers. Within 2 weeks I got 5 new customers. Then, I started walking door to door talking to people and this method worked great. I learned more about my customers and they gave me good feedback in regards to there current lawn service. I got 2 jobs and passed out 10 estimates to potential new customers. Talk to people and get out there. Good luck.

8. tinmansoccer11

Sounds good. So what exactly do you talk to people about? Just open the conversation w/ a broad subject, or jump straight to the reason you're there?

9. rodbite

rodbite LawnSite Member

Just landed a Realtor. Signed a contract on five houses.

Rod

10. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi tinmansoccer11,

Experiment with different customer groups. You never know which one will work best until you try it.