Getting some bids

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Gene $immons, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

My wife's job at an energy company is in a nice office complex. We are going to get the job for the maintenance this year, however...office policy requires 3 or more bids.

I guess I get to see what the other boys presentations are.

To be continued....

2. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

And???????????

3. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

OK - 2 bids came in.

Company 1 had a secretary who answered the phone, the owner called back, and scheduled a time to come out later in the week. He came out, measured the area and left. He faxed his bid in three days later. Looks like he used a typewriter, but it looks OK. His bid was lower than mine on the mowing by $20 a cut. This is a company that has been around for 20 years.

Company 2 sent out someone who was not the owner to do the bid. my jaw hit the ground when I saw how low he was, and this is a 10 truck company. Plus his numbers did not even add up. They also faxed in the bid.

I was $900 lower than the company who did it last year, but they are known to be high dollar.

One other company is coming tomorrow.

At least I am seeing firsthand how cut-throat the commercial end of this business really is.

To be continued.