1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

getting something bigger than the 34z.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RedWingsDet, Jun 1, 2004.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

well as some of you know, i was set on the 34z. but sense i have my 36in WB, i think i will buy a 48in gravley Z instead. i was looking at the PM 148Z today, and it seems very well built. i will be buying a new mower within the next few weeks.

i want to stick with gravley because thats what my dealer offers, he has gravley and toro. reason on i want gravely is beause there awsome machines and have 12months same as cash payment plan that ends in july.

so is the pm 148z a good machine? any problems with them? please help me decide. i was looking at the 144, but it only has a 19horse, where as this 48 has a 21 horse. so im leaning towards this pm 148z. plus it offers ALOT of attachments!
  2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Why do you need all those lawn mowers for 27 lawns? Seems like you have plenty of equipment as it is. I'd save my money if I were you. Equipment that sits around not being used isn't bringing you in any money, while it does count against your profits.
  3. Crapgame

Crapgame LawnSite Member

I have a 148Z loaner from my dealer in my shed right now. Its 21 Kawasaki is a real workhorse. Mowed my 18-24" tall backyard with it for the first time last saturday. Needed to triple cut it, but after the third pass, clippings were hard to find (the wife was pleased). The hydraulic deck lever is a neat device, although hard to set exactly where it was prior to moving it without using the little plastic/rubber stop blocks. As I only have two hands. I can see how it might be hard to adjust while on the move. The deck never scalped and it was faster than I was comfortable mowing at.

My only gripe, and I am sure it will be no different on any mowers of this sort (except maybe a diesel) was that it was unbelievably thirsty for fuel.

Outstanding mower. I know I'd be happy with it.
  4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Check out Ferris. They have a 0% interest, 0% finance charge for 36 months deal (36 equal payments with no down payment). They are also awesome machines!!!! I love my new IS1000Z !!! They have standard heavy duty air filter, fuel gauge on each tank, controls mounted on top of the tanks for easy access, the fuel tank selector/shut-off valve is located under your left leg instead of way back by the engine (noticed the Scag Tiger Cub has that valve by the fuel pump way in back). The controls are all easy to get to and easy to operate. The deck lift works easily by foot and is easy to change heights (similar to most brands). It cuts and discharges very nice. Oh, mine has the independent front suspension and it is adjustable so you can change the ride from stiff to soft. I prefer softer on the larger yards (the faster you go the smoother the ride sometimes!!!) and on smaller lawns I like it alittle stiffer so when I am maneuvering, the suspension doesn’t dip and make the deck dip in alittle. I pretty much have one standard setting I leave it on, but on an occasional real big yard I loosen it up for a smoother ride. If you are not cutting off gobs of grass, it will mow at full speed just fine (if you follow the 1/3 rule you’ll have no problem. It will cut off ½ of the grass on a lawn at full tilt usually too just fine). Yeah I do have to slow down in taller yards, I won’t lie to you. My yard I cut yesterday it had been a week and a half and I had to go about 7.5 mph on it. My neighbors yard (fairly well same type of grass/weeds) had been cut a week ago and I went full speed on it. Our yards aren’t irrigated or fertilized or anything but they do grow a lot. It cuts very nice on my well-kept thick, juicy, tall lawns (which I bag, no other way since I cut them once a week not twice a week). It just does an awesome job. I’ve been very pleased with it and it has done better than my expectations. Mine is a 52” 23hp in case you didn’t read my signature. Very nice machine and I would highly recommend. I drove 45 minutes to the dealer for it and I don’t think I will be going back often unless I need another piece of equipment. They have a 2 year full warranty also. Very maneuverable and capable machine. If you have a Ferris dealer within range, check them out and compare the features. The front suspension also allows for better maneuvering on hills and uneven ground. Other Z’s with fixed front axles do not do well on hillsides and sometimes cut uneven because the frame is not allowed to contour the ground. The Ferris eliminates this problem and lets you maneuver easier on uneven ground/hills/rough spots, etc. it takes a pretty steep slope too. Really has impressed me a lot and made me change my views on ZTR’s.
    As for fuel, it does maybe about a gallon and a half an hour or so? Not real sure. It’s thirstier than my 17 Kaw on my eXmark but then I’d expect it to be since it has 6 more horsepower and is under a greater load. It is worth the extra fuel consumption by far!

5. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you going to sell me your 48 in WB? I have the 144 Z and it is fine for every yard big or small..BUMPY RIDE.

6. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

i would be MORE THAN happy to sell you my 48. call me tonight before 11:30pm or tommarow after 3. or call anytime and just leave me a message withyour number and ill get back to you. 3*3 - 575-9323.... you know what goes between the 3's ;)

also, what is so bad about bourliers? i baught my stihl from him and hes good. but i think im going to look into ferris now. but more like a 48ztr.

let me know if you want to buy it :)
  7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Maybe he's just like many neophyte lawn guys. All giggly about buying shiny equipment, maybe not so into the actual work. Ebay is full of their stuff.
  8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Go for a 52" with all the power you can get. If you have a 48" W/B, why bother with a 48" Z? Doesn't make much sense. Now personally, I would sell the 48" W/B and buy a real nice 52", that's what I'd do. Then you'd have a 36" for your smaller accounts and the 52" for the bigger ones. Hope that helped any.