getting started again

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by HornetMowing, Jul 1, 2006.

1. HornetMowing

HornetMowing LawnSite Member

I haven't mowed as a business since I was a kid..........30 years ago. I'm just looking for a few yards to cut for extra$$$ I currently have 2 craftsman mowers 1 push21" 1 rider 42", and I have use of a tilt ultility trailer, also a homelite string trimmer..........(I know I know) But, I have NO overhead everything is paid for, what should I charge??? I figure I can make a profit and still (STING) the competion, at $35-40 without leaving alot of $$$ on the table. Also have very very little capital. Any and all responses will be appreciated
  2. ALL Around Xteriors

ALL Around Xteriors LawnSite Member

What's the area like where you will be cutting? $200,000 houses? or $2 million houses? I'd ask a few LCO's in the area and see what they are charging. Then set your prices accordingly.
  3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Whatever you do DONT LOWBALL! I assume you are referring to lowballing when you say "sting" the competition. I also hope you arent talking 35-40/month :rolleyes:
  4. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

nice logo all-around ext. :clapping: did you desgin that yourself?
  5. stumpjumper

stumpjumper LawnSite Member

Hornet you are going to catch h*ll about the no overhead statement. i said the same thing on my first post. you might want to say you don't have any debt to service. you are going to have overhead or operating expenses, however you want to say it, it costs money to mow. i just started this year, but don't try to STING the competition. find out what the rates are for your area. i did and based my pricing mid-range for startup. i bid a couple too low from inexperience and according to my books i'm clearing around $8.00 an hour for my work. i'll finish the year at that price but next years price will be adjusted or i won't be doing them. look around here, you'll see that the major problem with this business is lowballers. do good work, price it right and it'll work.
  6. HornetMowing

Thanks, Yes I did design it myself and also painted the signs for the yard as I'm there doing the Mowing
  7. HornetMowing

I Guess "sting" was referring to allowing a $1 or 2 difference in pricing to be able to get a few yards, nothing that would really set me back, or offering a reduced price if they can get me some referrals. The $35-40 is per Mowing per week. the competion is very tight-lipped about their far Thanks for the info
  8. HornetMowing

I guess i'm inexperienced about this Forum, when I was Mowing Years ago the internet was even thought of, LOL. Thanks for the insite about the "No Overhead" thingy, but that was just for OUR eyes only, as I know, you guys understand the Cost of doing Business, and are Professionals here, and all.... Thanks for the Great informative Feed back.........Hornet:confused:

SDNCLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

You get three responses but no answer just the same old BS.. I know how you feel...
  10. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

My first advice to you would to use the search feature and find all the stuff you can about starting out, try and read at least 1000 posts to get a feel of things.( you may have done this already).

They is a lot of people on here that dont bother to give advice as it usually has been said before some where.

Well you have the gear to start with, now you need to find out the best place to advertise is it your local paper ? if you would want a mower man where would you look ? ...flyers are one way but dont expect a lot from these as some people can put out 1000 for not one call, but try it for your area.

To find the local prices ring a few LCOS and get there quotes for your lawn or a friends lawn, as they are tight lipped this may be only way.

Always do the best job you can do and dont make short cuts or sloppy work, quality work wiil get you referrals.

As you make a bit of money upgrade your equipment to commerial gear,your home owner stuff can be back up equip.

And lastly you need patience if can take many years to make good money in this business and the majority fail in the first two years. good luck :usflag:

Oh and try and make friends with all your local LCOs wave, chat etc may take time but you will be accepted as one of the local boys in time.