1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Getting Started in Irrigation - Forum Members Advice

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Aug 7, 2006.

1. CoreyGA

CoreyGA LawnSite Member

Thanks Turfnh20man, that helps quite a bit!
  2. golftmann1

golftmann1 LawnSite Member

Need to Know how much of a markup do you guys put on RPZ valves. For example, a Febco 825 Y would cost me around 190.00, and I've seen some retail for as little as 220.00 and as high as 407.00. Just curious.
  3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

1" = $379.74 , suggested list right off my suppliers price list ( 2009)
  4. Paris Landscaping Company

Paris Landscaping Company LawnSite Member

Drip Question- If i have drip zones(beds) that are not connected with each other...do i have to put a valve for each drip zone or can i attach them with some PVC? we are new to irrigation any input would be greatly appreciated.
  5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

prolly easier to put a valve for each and wire em together if ya want.
  6. Paris Landscaping Company

Paris Landscaping Company LawnSite Member

Ok thanks for the info
  7. US Irrigation

US Irrigation LawnSite Member

Hello Everyone:

The best advice I could give to anyone is.....SERVICE, SERVICE, SERVICE. Although Installing systems give you insight and experience of seeing whats in the ground and how it gets there....I will say that my best SERVICE technicians where Install foremans.

Also, Residential Service is a world apart from commercial service. Over the years I can only count on one hand the service calls we did for single family residential....Commercial Sites are the training grounds....Once you repair a 6" mainline 5' deep in a burm.....you can fix any 1" mainline on a residential system. Once you track out your first cut wire on a clock with 48 zones that cover 30 acres.....You can find and repair any wire break on a residential system.....

My point is...Go for it...There is plenty of commercial service work available and not enough irrigation companies.

If anyone needs help....Let me know.

8. OKSooner

OKSooner LawnSite Member

All the work I've done is residential. Up until this year I've been a solo operation, but once spring gets going there's a good chance I might be getting some help. How does one get started doing commercial work?
  9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

First, you have to get the capability of doing big commercial work.
  10. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

Then you have to have the fortitude to withstand the shenanigans of your fellow subs and ba!!s big enough to withstand the beating you'll take from general contractors.