1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Getting Started in Irrigation - Forum Members Advice

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

It'll have to wait until after the playoffs.

But yeah, we could do it: how to service 100-yr.-old sprinkler heads like WB, how to spend days locating valves like ML, how to go all technical like K, and most of all, how to chisel the last $ out of the old and infirm like F-M...:waving:
    1idejim likes this.
  2. RandalatA1Sprinklers

RandalatA1Sprinklers LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever used the Lineward L2 or L3 for plowing polypipe? I'm in the market for a small walk behind lawn plow. Been checking out Case, Vermeer, and DitchWitch. Any info on any of these would be much appreciated.
  3. Duramaxsle1

Duramaxsle1 LawnSite Member

I bought one several years ago.....it did my wrists in big time from the vibrations. What I learned very quickly in this business and it would go for most is....buy the right equipment, I bought a used SX255 and it has made the world of difference. It is now more then 10 years later and even so that I still have the effects from that Lineward I have never had any physical problems from the SX255.

Just something to think about!
  4. RandalatA1Sprinklers

RandalatA1Sprinklers LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input! That SX255 does look like a good machine.
  5. Duramaxsle1

Duramaxsle1 LawnSite Member

It's been good for me, I bought it 2 years old and have had it for 7 now. I have spent $2000.00 in repairs over this time. Good luck!!!
  6. irrigation solutions

irrigation solutions LawnSite Member

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Geez dude, why not just point him to the sites where you took all the information from. :rolleyes:
  8. CoreyGA

CoreyGA LawnSite Member

Must one have a license to install irrigation for a residential customer?
  9. turfnh2oman

turfnh2oman LawnSite Member

In most cases you do not need any special permits or licensing to install a system. The most prevalent 'rule of the road' if you will is having the backflow preventer inspected which is 'annually' the homeowners responsibility, after the install is complete. That's if you're using one. Some municipalities enforce 'sewage and drainage' requirements. A seperate meter might be required to measure 'irrigation and/or runoff water' used, etc.
    Pump installations might require a 'code inspection' for the electrical work if any is done.
  10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

It all varies from state to state, and city to city. Here we are "supposed" to get a permit for installing a backflow preventer. then have it "inspected" that it is at the proper height. no test. Never any testing for homeowners here. and if it is a company installing it, they must have a cross connection license to pull the permit.