Getting started, what else do I need?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GCLC, Feb 9, 2008.

1. GCLC

GCLC LawnSite Member

This is my first post, been reading for a while though. Great site. Who ever thought I would stay up all hours of the night reading about lawn mowing?!

Ok, I'm trying to get started in this for as little as possible and buy equipment as need and income can justify it. I'll be hiring my brother and a friend to do the labor part, I'll be the business part of it, and keeping my job as a plumber.

I want to make sure I have everything we'll need to get started. Here's what I have so far:

Honda HRX217 6.5hp 21"

Troy-bilt TB425 CS trimmer w/ edger and blower attachments (I still haven't tried the blower out)

3700 psi Excell pressure washer with 13 hp honda

Scotts edgeguard spreader

Obviously we'll want to stick to smaller lawns until I can justify a bigger wb. The friend was a greenskeeper at one of the major schools here in town and is licensed for the chemicals, so I'm hoping to do spraying too. I was thinking of just a backpack sprayer for now. I'm also looking into getting licensed myself, since I'm actually the owner of the company.

The main thing I need is a trailer (12' ?), but may just let them drive my truck to start off with. Doesn't look as professional, but it would work in the short term.

I would like to get about 40 weekly customers, but from what I've been reading I'll be doing good to get 20 or so.

Given my goals, and the fact that I will basically be starting with two full time guys (paid by the job), what would you guys reccomend? I want to get in this for less than $2000. If I get the trailer, my brother will be pulling it with his blazer. Do you think it would handle a 12' single axle?

2. advantage landscapes

advantage landscapes LawnSite Member

Yes..... but you have 1 21" mower. I can fit 4 and ramps in my truck, and my truck is small....

If you want to talk about "justifying" equipment forget the trailer until you have at least a 48" wb. Even a 36" will fit in a truck, I did it for a long time.