Getting started

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Jungle Lawns, May 4, 2005.

1. Jungle Lawns

Jungle Lawns LawnSite Member

Hi guys this is my first year to be in this awesome business but I have a few worries. I would like to keep the business running by myself but need a little help in knowing how to speed up production while on a yard. Currently it takes me about 50/mins to do a yard. The equipment that I have is a 42" Yazookee z-turn, 33" sutech wb, 21" toro 5.5hp, stihl edger and stihl string trimmer. If there are any books or tricks to do could someone let me know?
  2. theturfsurfer

theturfsurfer LawnSite Member
    from mtka,MN

Not knowing what size lawn you are mowing makes it kinda hard to help you improve your time spent. You might be right on target. As far as a book helping you, I think your time will improve with experience, kinda hard to get that from a book. The only other option is getting larger mowers but then your costs will increase.
  3. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

being prepared is a huge way to move quickly through your lawns. for instance, if I am filling up a trimmer, I will top everything else off while i have the gas can out (all 2 cycle equip). Also, I restring my trimmers after work so they are ready for the next day. I usually do it while watching tv. keep a few extra pre-strung heads in your truck, its a lot faster to swap heads then restring while on the job. keep a pair of pliers in your pocket or even a swiss army knife. sometimes those damn heads get tangled or you lose a string in the head. beats walking all the way back to the truck. fill up the truck/mowers/cans at night after the day is over.
    these are just a few tips, i'm sure others will add to the list. good luck
  4. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

Buy a GOOD backpack blower, lose the 21" mower. If you have a 42" and a 33", the 21" is just dead weight. Do the small areas that the 33" cant get to with a string trimmer, and dont take on any propertys that the 33" wont fit into.

Buy another trimmer, and another blower, and get a helper.

Would need to know how big your propertys are to offer you any more advice than that.

5. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

If you do a search there is an old thread of tips and tricks that has a lot of good stuff in it. I can't remeber which forum it's in.
  6. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

I've found that the first time always takes a lot longer, because the edges aren't cut, the grass is too long, etc.

I had a backpack blower and switched to a nice handheld because I am doing small properties and I was spending more time putting it on and taking it off than I was spending blowing.

I unload my mower and mow front and back, then I leave the mower in the back. I unload the trimmer and trim front and back, then I leave the trimmer in the back with the mower. Edge, then put the edger in the back. Blow and then either load everything into the trailer, or grab whatever I need to clean up the last couple of spots, then load the trailer. I had found that I was wasting lots of time locking each tool up when I was done with it and wasting even more time if I needed to use something twice. Now, I don't spend all that time locking and unlocking and the tools are in the back yard where they are far less likely to get stolen, especially if the back yard is fenced in.
  7. GrassMasterNC

GrassMasterNC LawnSite Member

Don't lose the trim mower, you WILL NEED IT for several spots your riders can't get to. It is a great asset and does not take up that much space. Turning down jobs because you'd have to use a push mower is about the stupidest thing I have heard yet. I switched all of my trimmer heads to the rapid loader types...all you need to do is keep a few 6" - 8" sting segments in your back pocket, and when you chew one up, slip it in - takes 3 seconds and you're back trimming. Be sure to get a good BP blower if you are going to get one, but get a good handheld too....I seldom take my BP Blower off the rack if all I have to blow off is a small driveway, patio, and sidewalk area. Make sure you have plenty of water and gatorade.

8. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ