getting started

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rochester, Feb 19, 2001.

1. rochester

rochester LawnSite Member

I have no more exp. with lawns than cutting my own 1/2 acre.
    I would like to get into the business. I currently work a full time job as a deputy sheriff. One of the guys I work with has a good sized landscape business on the side. I plow for him now. I plan on cutting only. My question is should I go it alone (cutting,trim,blow) or try to work a summer for this guy.

2. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

You cant really lose either way. If you feel somewhat unsure of yourself then go work with your buddy, but if you have some confidence go out on your own, put some flyers out and see what type of response you get. Then you can decide what equipment you need.

3. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

I think you should definitely spend some time working in the field first. Learn the trade, the equipment, see if you're suited for it. If you can do it part time all summer, and really love it, then you'll know it's time to hop in. I have seen so many guys come and go over the years. It definitely takes a certain type of person to be successful in this business.

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i worked for a landscaper for about 2 yrs off and on to gain experience in the field. i knew all along i would part and start my own business, but the experience was worth it. i recommend working in the field for a little while and then start your own lawn care business. i work by myself, and i like it that way, because im very picky and a helper would drive me crazy