getting started

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by git-r-done, Dec 10, 2006.

1. git-r-done

git-r-done LawnSite Member

been told i will never make it in this business im here to prove them wrong. I have only a few acounts right now. I own a 33'' in troybilt mower, eb 7000 blower redmax, 4x6 trailer, string trimer how can i get more accounts.

2. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

Good for you! Don't listen to schmucks who predict your failure at something. It's all do-able. I think some of the guys here make a pretty good living with this work.

3. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Good luck to you !! Do good work ....advertise as much as you can afford and DO NOT LOWBALL !! You work ...get paid for it ....accounts will come with time and good work.

4. git-r-done

my lawns rang from 35$ to 65$ do you guys charge by the hour when you do fall and spring. what is the going rate per hour .

5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

do a business plan, demographic study to see if your market will bear another lco...see a lawyer, an accountant, register with the state, get insurance, commercial plates and all, get commercial equipment, your mower wont last long with more then a few accounts....then advertise...simple...

6. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

I try to make a $1 a minute ....so $60 an hour....but again you need to look at what your market will pay and what is in each of the accounts your bidding on/ cutting ....is it wide open or lots of beds and trees to mow around ?? only you can judge those things and price accordingly.

7. AlleganyLawnCare

AlleganyLawnCare LawnSite Member

Congrats as well! Keep plugging away!

Remember advertise smartly, not just anywhere. Be creative with your money.

8. git-r-done

all of my accounts are on the lake. most of them dont care about the cost they just want it done befor they come home for the weekend.most live out of state. but if keep getting thes type of people i dont want them to think im ripping them off either just want to make sure im bidding right. im a very productive when person who likes the job done right the first time.

9. git-r-done

all have been word of mouth so far no advertiseing so far. but I dont have a truck its a suv so i hae to use my friends truck to haul away leaves.

10. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder LawnSite Senior Member

I have around 20 accounts and i have nevera advertised. I started mowing my neigbor's lawn over the summer 5 summer;s ago, and they referenced me to other people. Word of mouth is the best advertisement becasue it is free and it works great. I was thinking of handiong out flyers this coming spring. I might try it out and see if it works out. Good luck for the next season. Got any pic of your equipment. LawnInOrder